FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tips for the new forum

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Noticing some are having problems with the new forum and thought I would share a little.  I also understand (and have some of) the frustrations many of you will have. I thought I would add a little thread here for people to share their tips to make things easier.

I leave the default sort setting from old to new. I will go down to the bottom of the first page, and then click on the button that is for the last page to get to the latest post/reply. This saves me from having to check sort order or dates or ...

PS. If you want to add other text in addition to the tip, somehow highlight the tip in bold. 

52 Replies 52

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks for the tips will follow.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Croix

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I am lost but trying to get my head around the changes and learn how to use this platform.

This is the only forum I’ve ever used and none of this is intuitive to me.

Know that this thread will be important to many people. Hopefully I will be able to find you again. I turned on notifications but never see any—but then again I’m not sure where to look for them! 

i think I’m just too old for this brave new world but on the plus side I did make this post!

Kind thoughts to you

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Wolfie, & everyone.

Thank you, Wolfie, for starting this 'Discussion', ((I note that ''Start a Discussion' button.)

For Summer Rose, Notifications can be found on your Profile page. Click.tap your own name next to any of your pink picturs, & you will find yourself in your own profile. 've had an email which pointed me to two new posts in my own thread - posts I'd made myself! I don't know exactly what I did to have the email sent to me, but I'd rather not have emails sent fore evry time I post, let alone for everyone whose post I now 'Follow'.

A problem with the Notifications in My Profile, is that they didn't advise me of who had posted.

& Wolfie, I have a tiny problem with people using bold & italics, in that my text-to-speech reader stops reading whenever the font changes in any way. It gets me cranky when changes are frequent, as I struggle to pick up where the changed font is within the text.

I've enjoyed dipping into individual Profiles, seeing some places where people are posting, & I have already discovered a couple Discussions I was not aware of, which I would like to read & possibly post to. 

I'd like to point out here, my right click options while in these text boxes is not consistent. It either offers the options I'm used to seeing, including suggested words for misspelled words, & emojis,  or it looks like ribbon or tab bar choices.

I am mostly still using emojis via my keyboard shortcut,  which is 'windows key' + '.' pressed simultaneously.

I expect I will be back, because I have more questions than answers. I really would like to stop bouncing around on this page whenever I try doing something other than type quick enough to not hear how my content wass being updated [time], every minute if I let it... very distracting. For most it is text below the text box, but for me, my text-to-speech reader interrupts if I don't happpent to be typing for a few seconds, to tell me... 

Thanks again, Wolfie, & I'll see you around.

mmMekitty

P.S. Looks like the tip of your cute nose has been snipped off... aw...or you are sniffing beyond the fog, discovering the void?

Warmly all,😸

mmMekitty

Hi mmMekitty

Thanks for your help.

And dear smallwolf, I’m so sorry that I got your name wrong in my earlier post. I have no idea how I did that. Apologies.

Kind thoughts to you

Hi Summer Rose,

You're doing great! I'm so glad you're still here and asking questions 💗

For what it's worth, the notifications aren't working properly for me too.  Seems to be a bit of a bug that is being looked at behind the scenes.  Just thought I should let you know.

In the meantime, it might help to bookmark this page.  Not ideal but at least you'll be able to find it again and get notifications in the future.

rt

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi mmKitty - I was not aware of the issue with changing font styles and what what did for text to speech converters.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

TIP: When looking at a new discussion, I will click the user name to get an idea of what other threads the user might have posted in. If I can only see the thread I will be replying to then I recognize a new user and can add a welcome message to the top of my post. This is sort of my workaround for the missing post count that was in the old system. I will also do this in some of the longer threads for names that I do not recognize.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi everyone, great I am following this thread, it's good to know others are having some difficulties too!

🙂

Hello mmMekitty,

To turn off email notifications:

Click on your personal profile link & select settings

You will see  

1. Discussions you follow   2. Notification settings

Click on the 2. Notification Settings.

That will give you a list of options that you can opt in or out of... like emails, pop up notices etc

Paws