FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Parent of an estranged Adult daughter

magiore
Community Member

I need to connect with other parents who are going through what I am going through.

I will be brief for now, but will discuss further once I connect with others who are going through the same crisis as mine.

It's been six weeks now our daughter left the family, she eloped and we don't know where she is. she left us suddenly, our lives changed practically overnight.

We cannot believe that she could such a thing, the guy and his family have brainwashed her and stolen her from us. I heard that she is already engaged to this guy and the family will marry her off as soon as possible. We cannot believe that she could do such a thing behind our back.

I need help, I have no one around me who is approaching me to help.

If there is anyone out there who is in a similar case to mine please reach out to me so we can come close to discuss our precious loss together.

Thank you

70 Replies 70

Stu01
Community Member

Hi magiore.

I'm in similar situation with my Son. Was having a struggle staying in touch with him for a couple of years. Then I got cancer, and he seemed to make an effort to respond to my txts and answer calls for a while. Then he dropped contact again, right when I was going through massive chemo and radiation treatment and didn't know if I would live or not. So I sent him a txt critizising him for his lack of concern and ignoring me. That was it, he ranted and raved and told me I'm not welcome to contact him anymore. He blocked all lines of communication. I've had nothing since....that was 8 months ago. I made it as far as the cancer goes. Clear for now. Don't know what the future holds. Have to be clear five years before they consider you cured. Can't believe he isn't even curious what happened to me. I raised him. His mum was in and out of mental institutions until we split up. Very bad mental illness. He has denied contact with every member of my family. I get no information on him at all. Professionals all hear my story and say the same stuff......recommend treatment for depression etc. I don't want concilling or pills......I want a solution. I want ideas on how to reconnect. Or at least someone who truly knows the pain to share conversation with. People who aren't in this situation just do not understand....and that includes professionals as far as I'm concerned.