FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mental Illness Is Not Real

J_M_12345
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey everyone!

So I decided to name this thread "Mental Illness Is Not Real" to have the most appalling title possible and in turn capture the reader's attention, but the sad thing is, this notion that mental illness is not real is still held by many. I have found this to be commonly the case in some cultural groups such as my own, where there is an attitude of "sucking it up" and that "it's in your head so you control it". Depression is misconstrued as laziness, the excessive spending and reckless behaviour of mania might be described as "spoilt and ungrateful". Anxiety is weakness, and panic attacks are "dramatic" or, I quote, "brought on by yourself".

Of course, none of this is true and you'll find that mental illness is every bit as physiological as a broken leg. It's just that the chemicals involved are in the most complex organ of the body, the brain, and the psychology and the workings of the mind are so complex that it may be difficult to fully apprehend.

And perhaps that's why. Perhaps we dismiss what we cannot understand.

In light of this, was wondering if you guys wanted to discuss the stigma and misunderstanding? Is it more common in some cultural groups than in others? Have you personally faced this "denial of mental illness" and what is the best way to most kindly address it?

Hope to hear some stimulating discussion!

Cheers,

Josette

10 Replies 10

Hi Freddy17

Welcome to the forums and for your post too!

Its great to have your thoughts on mental illness as your input is highly valued on the forums

I am not sure if JM12345 is still an active member or not. I read all of your post and its great! You are more than welcome to create your own thread topic (only if you wish of course) as members will see your input from a new members' point of view and thus will also generate more responses for you too instead of using an old thread

Great to have you post with us Freddy17 🙂

my kind thoughts

Paul >>>>(Long term anxiety/depression....in Recovery)