FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Introduction Thread

J_M_12345
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey everyone!

My name is Josette. I live in Sydney and will be starting university early next year! I have dealt with mental illness most my life but was only diagnosed a year ago. Within the time frame of a year though I have learnt so much about my diagnoses, the best strategies to manage my condition, and heaps of self-care methods which go a long way in aiding meds to give the best possible result. Therefore I'm a strong believer in recovery, and I have so much faith that everyone with any mental illness can lead a full and fulfilling life, making a difference to the people and world around them!

beyondblue was a very crucial part of my recovery, and therefore I am honoured to be part of the forums and beyondblue community. Other than beyondblue though, my interests range from reading, science, medicine and health, running and Christmas!! I live with my parents and two brothers who I love so much, and who play such a massive role in my life and my wellbeing.

Can't wait to "meet" more new people via the forums, so that we share our experiences - the good times, the tough times, but most importantly, the hope that we all share as we navigate our way to lead a happy and peaceful life!

xx Josette

12 Replies 12

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Josette, welcome

I hope you enjoy the forum. It has developed a lot in the near 4 years since I arrived here.

Tony WK

blueskye
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Josette! ❤️

So good to hear that you're feeling much better and doing well. I hope you continue to feel more positive!

Best of luck with starting uni next year ~ you're going to love it! Much more freedom. Which course are you interested in? Something to do with medicine and/or health based on your interests? How exciting!

A bit more of myself - I reside in Perth. I was born in Australia (Darwin) and my ethnicity is Chinese. I'm going into my fourth year of uni next year. Nice to meet you! 🙂

Looking forward to seeing your posts in the multicultural forum x Lee

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Josette, I'd like to welcome you and very much looking forward to hearing from you. Geoff. x

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Josette,

What an uplifting and encouraging post 🙂

It seems you have been on a meaningful learning curve and picked up lots of wisdom along the way to manage your own mental health. Good for you.

It’s lovely to meet you too 🙂

Caring thoughts,

Pepper

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Josette,

Welcome to the forum. I found your introduction inspiring and uplifting.

I look forward to reading your posts.

Quirky

J_M_12345
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Lee!

YES, I'm so very excited for the freedom that comes with university next year. Correct - I am interested in medicine. It's a little tough to get into though straight from school so I might study a science degree and then apply for postgrad med. ATARS come out this Friday actually!

Cool. Fourth year so you're almost there! What are you studying?

My ethnicity is Lebanese. Was born there and migrated to Sydney with my family when I was 8. It's great living here though - I absolutely love it.

Josette

Thanks Quirky! Can't wait to read your posts too! 🙂

Evan1
Community Member
HI My Name is Evan ......well known....2 decades of being an Independent Multicultural Mental Health Consumer Advocate..employed by the Victorian Transcultural Mental Health service......based at the St Vincents Hospital Melbourne establishment..where I had my office.....working on managing the Consumer MH Program in Multiculturalism.......among the Victorian Multicultural communities.....running TWO MH Consumer Multicultural self mutual supporting groups and an Advocacy group.... and working as an systemic Advocate at Local State and Federal levels throughout Australia. I have engaged further with numerous services and organizations...at all levels.....on numerous Projects and Programs co ordinating and building a better MH system for those present and future clientele of these services...in a nut shell....I have being rather busy productive and championed to address many of the great things this country of ours is offering to the many Multicultural communities in the area of MH and beyond......currently I am semi retired...doing only the important elements of improving services for these communities as a whole....and wish to encourage enhance and further develop the workforce in this field....this on line Forum will be a great area of work where we could have live discussions leading to better services for these people and raising the Quality bar of standards that the services could reach to...please feel free to contact me via this Forum....warm regards and best wishes..

.Evan 

Aisha5
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everybody,

I've recently moved to Australia and my struggle with depression and anxiety was an on-going battle till I mustered up the courage to go and seek help from a counsellor when my suicidal tendencies were getting too much for me to handle. I was unable to seek help back home due to the stigma attached to mental illness. I'm very happy to be a part of this initiative by beyondblue as I know how difficult things can get, especially from the part of the world where I come from.

Kudos to beyondblue for trying to bring this to the forefront and address this significant, relevant and pressing issue!