FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What happened doesn't have to define me

Mia001
Community Member

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. Not really sure what to do. Where do I start? Any suggestions?

Mia

432 Replies 432

Hi Mary,

Thankyou. It's nice to hear from you! I've started with the BB Cafe and made some friends already. I'm also having fun in Follow That Word, although I think I mess it up a lot because my replies are really slow! I've been reading through some of the threads that interest me. There's a lot to learn!

Mia

Zeal
Community Member

Hey Mia,

I'm glad you are enjoying the forums already, and have started talking on BB Café! There's also the Friends Café (for people 25 and under) if you're interested. I'm on there as an oldie (24 years old) haha.

At 17, you've already got valuable commitments and you have a great attitude (and plenty of compassion)! The aged care course sounds great, as that is certainly a growing sector. With the proportion of Australia's aged population growing and the increasing number of Dementia/Alzheimer's diagnoses, aged care support workers are in demand. Having a goal to work towards is positive - nursing in an ED and even a paramedic!

I'm glad your first experience of counselling was positive. I'm actually studying Postgraduate Counselling and Psychotherapy at university. I'm doing the Graduate Diploma this year, and I'll do the Masters next year. I don't have paid work at the moment, though I'm looking. I volunteer for several organisations, which I enjoy.

It's great that you can support your classmate. Losing both her husband and daughter is horrible, and I can't even imagine the grief and pain she is feeling 😞

I think starting to chat in the BB Café was good, and you could always post something specific in a forum thread. Maybe post in the Young People section next, if you'd like to start another thread.

It's nice to have you here by the way 🙂

Best wishes,

Zeal

Mia001
Community Member

Hi Zeal,

Hey, 24 really isn't that old! It's good to hear you're studying Counselling and Psychotherapy. I think that would be a great job. I hope you can find some work soon too.

I'm really excited about working in Aged Care, but I just need to wait until I get my P's first so I have transport. I'm hoping to study the Diploma of Nursing PT next year and work PT in aged care facility as well. Working specifically in a Dementia Unit would definitely be something that interests me. I like a challenge!

I'm thinking about starting a thread - just so long as nobody else has one going already! I might see you round in the Friends Cafe sometime. Mia

Zeal
Community Member

Hey,

Thanks, I'm hopeful to find some form of paid work soonish! It's great that you're aiming for your P's. I have a fear of me driving, so I'm still on my L's, which I only got at the age of 22! So I think you're doing well, and it's ideal that you won't have not driving as an employment restriction. Working in a dementia unit would be challenging, but also rewarding. My Grandpa turned 83 today, and he's had Dementia for a few years. He went to a nursing home in January this year, as he needed more care than my Grandma could manage (she's also 83).

At his birthday lunch today, it was sad to see how much he struggled. He lacks so much awareness, and he couldn't really participate in any conversation. He also commented that he didn't know people at the table - he definitely knows exactly who his wife is though (my Grandma) and his daughter (my Mum). He was falling asleep at the table too, before lunch even arrived. Over the last several weeks, we have noticed he is getting worse again unfortunately. He never complains and he only recently lost his sense of humour. Before his Dementia, he was such a capable man who always helped others. So now he deserves the utmost respect, regardless of how hard it gets. All people with Dementia deserve this of course, but it feels especially true when it's a beloved member of your family.

My parents are going overseas for two months as of next week, so I'll make sure I visit Grandpa with my sister, and sometimes my Grandma will pick me up after she does shopping near where I live, so that we can visit him together. I haven't been seeing him much in the nursing home, but I will make sure I do more when Mum's away.

I have just talked a lot! I suppose the lunch brought up a lot of thoughts!

I hope your weekend has been nice 🙂

Best wishes,

Zeal

Mia001
Community Member

Hi Zeal,

Thankyou! I did have a good weekend.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one scared of driving. Nothing like a bit of motivation to get me going though! Do you what scares you the most about driving? Sometimes finding the cause is the key to finding the solution.

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. It can be sad watching a loved one living with dementia, especially when the disease progresses.

All the best,

Mia

Hello Mia

Good to see you still posting. There are a couple of threads about aged care on the forum which you may like to join in. I was just looking for them but without success. They are probably hiding in plain sight so I will search later and put them up here.

Learning to drive is a huge effort. Once you have been driving for several years you will forget the effort it took to gain your licence. Pushing yourself too hard now may be stopping you . Go gently, that way you are in charge of driving lessons. I appreciate the difficulty of going out and using public transport, especially when there is little public transport around. If you feel comfortable when you take your driving test you will manage much more easily. Slow down, take your time and you will be driving comfortably with your P plates.

I do some volunteer work in a day respite centre for older people. I am part of the pastoral care team and we have a ball. The people we talk to have a huge sense of humour, not afraid to give their views on life and love talking about the past.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Yeah, I guess you're right about the driving. I tend to expect too much of myself.

Haven't seen any aged care threads either, but sometimes the names are a bit obscure!

Good night,

Mia

Here are two threads you may like to read and possibly join in.

This one is in Long Term Support. The thread is Nursing Home Resident Mental Health.

This one is in the Suicidal Thoughts forum. This thread is Trapped in Supported Accommodation.

Mary

Yetty
Community Member

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, just wanted to say hello and thank you for letting me join.

I am 48 years old and have been struggling with depression and anxiety since 2015.

I am glad to know that there are others out there whose stories are shared and will give me some hope also.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Yetty,

It's wonderful to see you here on the forums.

There are many people here who suffer from depression and anxiety, many of whom have done so for a number of years, so you are safe here.

If you'd like to, we have dedicated boards for depression and anxiety which you may have seen already. Often, posters who have some specific questions tend to post their own new threads there which you're absolutely welcome to do as well.

Great to have you on board!

James