FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Login and profile image updates

ProjectTeam
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everybody

Some of you may remember our big update in July 2022 with a brand new look and feel for our Forums, and we thank everyone for the feedback and support while we’ve improved on this new experience.

Coming up soon we’ll make our next big change, and this time our login, registration, profile picture upload and account management features are getting a refresh.

What does this mean?

The software that runs the login and registration experience will be swapped out for a new, secure platform to handle your anonymous identity while you use the Forums. We’re really excited for this opportunity to improve the experience of using the Forums while also increasing the security of your information.

It also will finally resolve an issue many of you have raised with us - that you haven’t been able to update your profile pictures / avatars. As part of the change we’ll be moving that feature into the Forums itself - and in the not so distant future you’ll be managing it in the same place you manage your notifications (https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile).

From this point on, we’ll be using this space in the forums to provide updates on the work that’s in play, to get your feedback and comments and really bring you along this journey.

When can we expect these changes?

At this stage we’re aiming to make this improvement at the end of March 2024 - and if there’s any changes to that timing we’ll be sure to let you know.

We would love to hear your thoughts, feedback and questions! While we can’t respond super quickly to all questions, the aim is to send answers to any questions we’ve received.

Thanks for your support.

19 Replies 19

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

"... a new, secure platform to handle your anonymous identity while you use the Forums"

So would that imply the previous (ie current) login/registration platform was not secure or, by association, anonymous?

'twill be nice to have a new pic though... How about also including a variety of pictures/avatars for those who might prefer a simpler process to 'individualise' themselves?

Great point to clarify, but in this case no - our current platform is secure and anonymous it just can't do much more than that. The main reason we included that sentence is to make it clear the change won't reduce security or anonymity.

Love the idea of a selection of avatars users can chose from rather than picking themselves - it's something we've discussed at length as one of the improvements we want to make. One insight from the moderation team is that people frequently upload full face photos of themselves - which makes sense if you've made a brand new account and don't realise the implications of breaching their own anonymity. We think a selection of pre loaded avatars would help those people too!

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Project Team & everyone

thank you for advising us of forthcoming changes. I look forward to checking them out.

I very much appreciated the email from BB, as I have not been on BB very much of late, so I'd missed seeing this thread. Having the email encouraged me to come looking for this thread, to find out more. Thank you.

I like the idea of having a variety of 'generic' avatar pics for those who would prefer to simply select one of those to use instead of uploading an image. May I suggest a 'generic' 'Gone fishing' for anyone to use when they are taking a break? I've wanted to make one of my own, but it's very difficult for me to do now.      

Hello tranzcrybe. Hope you've been keeping well. 

Hugzies

mmMekitty

Hey mmMekitty!

We're glad you got our email, and a 'gone fishing' avatar is a great idea. We'll be starting off with some simple illustrations to get started and growing our generic offerings from there.

Hello everybody!

Excitingly today is the day we'll be updating our login experience. You'll see a message later today advising you when you can no longer log in, or post, and in the mean time we'll be putting updates in this thread on what to expect! 

Any questions or concerns you can either reply here, or email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

Avatars an integral part of a Forums experience - alongside choosing a display name they're how you can easily present yourself to your fellow community members.

As part of this update we're making two key changes:

1. We're moving Avatars 'into' the Forums, you'll be able to upload new pictures in the same place you update your notification preferences (https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions%3Anotification-setting...). This should make it a lot easier to upload new Avatars, and re-use previous Avatars!

2. We'll enable a set of pre-approved Avatars! Instead of uploading your own, you can choose from groups of images such as animals, tech, toys, and architecture!

Q: If you're moving Avatars, will I lose mine?

A: We've found over 10 thousand images going back to 2013 - including a large number of users who haven't logged in for many many years. Instead of bringing them all across instead we're focussing on the 2,500 users who have logged in over the past 2 years.

That being said - all images will be kept on file and can be uploaded by the moderators at your request. Just email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au if you have any questions.

Hello Project Team,

I have had a look at some of those 'generic' avatar pics & while I can't see them well, I am plesed to see a wider variety than I was expecting.  Of those I have looked at, the pictures are not high contrast, & the size of them makes them difficult for me to see. If, when I encounter someone who is using one, it would be marvelous if there is an 'Alt Text' description so I could know which avatar someone has used?

Thanks again,

Hoppy Long Weekend, with hugzies,

mmMekitty

Hey Project team

It would be helpful for new members to be able to select from some generic profile pics. Great Idea!

Just seeing when I can reload my 'Courage' profile pic which Ive had for approx 16,000 posts of support I have provided since January 2016.

Happy Easter and thankyou!

Paul