FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Worn out

Tired_man
Community Member

Hi all,

I have a very intense job (80+ hours of high-stress work each week), I'm in a loveless marriage, and have my in-laws living with me - I'm financially supporting everyone and have a heavy mortgage.

I feel like I have nowhere to hide. 15 hours a day of dealing with work dramas combined with constant criticism from wife and in-laws at home. I've been operating like this for about 15 years now and I'm feeling pretty down and lost.

I've stayed in the marriage as I have a 14-year-old daughter who I love dearly. I've been trying to give her stability and loving home.

It's getting to the point where I may need a little help to keep coping. Either that or I need to make a change.

4 Replies 4

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am sorry you are going through this. It sounds to me that this is all getting too much and you are getting burnt out.

Is there any way you can speak to your wife and in-laws about getting some more support around the home?

My parents were in a loveless marriage because of my siblings and I too. Now that they are apart we are all happier, especially my parents. I would 100% rather see them happy than not. I also didn't realise parents normally showed affection to each other until I went to friends houses and their parents were affectionate - I was like WTF. That is something to think about. I am not saying divorce is the answer, that depends on your own situation, but this was my experience.

Also, I know you work a lot - but is getting support from a mental health professional something you would consider?

Stay strong,

Jaz.

Tired_man
Community Member

Thanks, Jaz.

The rational part of me understands that what you say makes sense. I've always questioned why my happiness is more important than my daughters, but perhaps now she's getting older it will be easier to take care of myself a little.

Gettings some help sounds like a good idea.

Mishmo
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tired one, I dont blame you for being tired at all. I would be also if in your shoes. You are doing SO MUCH. You should be proud of yourself firstly for all you are enduring for those around you. We never receive the right amount of, if any, appreciation from those around us for all we endure. But I wanna say how proud I am that you are and have for so long. Its never easy to step back and look at our lives from a different angle, but it is refreshing when we do, its a big step to do so and make changes from what we see. But taking baby steps so to speak on helping ourselves to find a lil more happiness each day is what we all need. Especially through these hard times. Making 5-10 (increase where possible) to reflect on the good we have done in the day. The work you have covered/achieved to help finance your life, those you love, especially your daughter. To do something you enjoy (even having a cuppa to or from work, and zone out listening to a favourite song that may help mentally energise you?) I love the saying, we need to fill our cup up first before helping fill others, you cant fill another's cup with your empty cup. (Same as putting our oxygen mask on before being able to help others). You have done amazing to reach out here, that in itself is never easy and a little time spent on yourself and for your happiness and mental health. A step in the right direction to seeking help and help you find some direction. You are doing awesome! Your daughter in the long run would be ever so proud of all you do for her, no matter what you decide to do... in the moment it doesnt feel like it. Many high heavy hurdles we all struggle with in times life you are suffering. I hope you have been able to reach out to seek professional assistance? Here always, when needed.

TC, Btw my names Renee. Lovely to have made you acquaintance tired one 🙂

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

I am glad, as much as your family is important - i have found that it is crucial to take care of yourself. don't get too tired, tired man, it's not worth it! your daughter's happiness is very important, but so is yours. many selfless people tend to forget to remember to give to themselves a bit when they're giving their all to those they love dearly.

stay strong,

jaz.