FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

TPD claims - mental health

Freeman9876
Community Member

Hi everyone 

I have been off work for now 21 months, my employer is about to terminate me. which is fine as I have been bullied for in and around 6 months and have no urge of going to back to my old role 

my question is 

1. what is the process of applying for TPD
  2. I have no experience in any other field and have no qualifications how will they assess this claim based
  3. on my employment is pretty huge pay - will they take into account roles that will pay similar or would it be any occupation 
  4. whats happens at an IME independent medical examination?

thanks 

1 Reply 1

Leisa68
Community Member

Hi Freeman9876,

I am going through something similar at the moment. For TPD you need to ring your superannuation fund and request the forms for TPD. A lot of people approach lawyers to help them with the process of TPD but the lawyers take up to 25% of your super as their fee. The process is long and they usually don't pay as a lump sum, just a set amount over six years. I have no experience in any other field either and my superannuation has told me I have a pretty good case. I am not sure what will happen at an IME, I can only imagine it will focus mostly on mental health for me. Sorry, I don't know all the answers!

Make sure your psych/GP/Psychologist is pretty thorough on the forms with their assessment, also I made sure that they stated that I was permanently disabled and could not work (in those words or similar) It's been a bit of a rough ride for me so far, but I persist, I wish you all the best and it's all smooth sailing.

Leisa68