FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

The effects of social media

That Other Guy
Community Member

I am 53, my marriage is holding on by a thread and we live apart.  I try hard to create a positive space on facebook, because it makes me feel connected somewhere.  I just got my account back, I got 30 days for calling someone garbage who was wishing physical harm on LGBTIQ kids.  I got a ban, because I expressed support for women's rights.  The algorithm just does not work, and I guess my question is, am I the only person who struggles to keep a social media account and is left feeling isolated?

I will note I don't look for arguments, I engage people who troll groups I like.

4 Replies 4

PhilK
Community Member

I think I'm pretty much in the same boat. I got a 30 day FB ban for commenting I'd set fire to a car that had a massive huntsman in it.

Yet I reported a guy who set his name as Rudolph Hess and posted over 20 really horrible anti-semitic images (I reported every single one) and they said they "didn't break their Community Standards". Yep, their algorithm is screwed. And yes, I find myself trying to engage with people who are just not worth engaging with. It's toxic and addictive (and they do their best to make it so). Worst thing was when I went to uninstall FB from my phone it said it's a "system app" and can't be deleted. They should have like gambling sites where you can self-ban or whatever.

I guess good news is there's other online communities and things that are far less horrible. I'm trying to participate in those instead.

Yeah, I have reported white nationalism and hate groups since 'reclaim Australia' with no luck.  Facebook is utterly toxic.  I guess I'm surprised there's no real awareness of it that I can see, or attempts to control it.

Yeah, I am here because I look for other forums where bans come from a human reading posts, and not some broken code.

Hi,

I closed my own FB account for a while and almost couldn’t get it back. I was worried that someone may hack it and take control, so I reactivated it. Sounds dumb that I was worried that someone would steal my social media account. But it happens. Now I find FB boring. And even Twitter is just not worth it. I enjoyed both when they were new, but don’t have the time for either any more. 

I am however getting into the Social spaces right here. It’s a safer space.

I've had at least 30 Facebook accounts, I lost the one that connected me to all my old school friends and family when it was mass reported for not hating refugees.  I am not identifiable on FB at all, I don't post anything personal.  It's just not safe