FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Deep depression

Bidol
Community Member

hi all,this is my first time posting on here.it’s been a year today that I lost my mother in law to cancer,I’m completely lost.I’m terrified for my mums health.I can’t go on like this.i don’t really have anyone else to talk to apart from my husband but he is grieving as well.i don’t know how to deal with this!

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hello Bidol,

Thank you so much for joining our forum community, we do hope you will get everything you need and all you can from your time with us!

We are deeply saddened that you are enduring this grief, and that it is becoming so overwhelming for you. That this experience can cause such anxiety with Mum, and all the other ways it cuts close to home, makes complete sense. 

So many members of this community will be able to relate with you on this - the vast majority of us know the devastation of losing a loved one, and I am sure everyone without exception knows what it is to fear the loss of someone dear. 

We want to make sure you do have people to talk to about this; please know that you can reach out to us anytime, 24/7 - 1300 22 4636, or click here to webchat. Also, our friends at Griefline on are wonderful, and available always at 1300 845 745. Just as importantly - please stay in touch here! We would love to keep talking to you, and we are ready to hear where you are at!

Thinking of you,

Regards,

Sophie M.

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Bidol,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law and the grief I'm sure that follows. That can be hard to deal with, especially on your own. 

I'm similarly going through a process of grieving for a close family member of mine. It is incredibly difficult as I have not yet lost that family member and am trying to brace myself. This has been made easier with opening up with my psychologist. I would recommend that you find a psychologist through your GP under the better access scheme (Mental health care plan). They can give you a good place start and also help you process your grief. This of course takes a lot of hard work and time. For myself I have learned that the stages of grief are not linear and very much fluid/dynamic.

Another good place for resources is the cancer council website. They have a page dedicated to processing grief and I believe can offer counselling (although I haven't used this option before). They also have a pdf booklet that goes through the different ways to handle grief. Simply google "understanding grief cancer council". Hope that helps.

Bob