FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Ran out of antidepressants don't know how to access more in time to avoid withdrawal...

Aly98
Community Member

I'm wondering if anyone has advice... I'm based in Vic, Aus in case that's necessary context (don't know where most people on the forums are based?)

So my dilemma is... I've lost my script for my antidepressants. I've run out of my last refill. I've been off them 2 days now and already feeling pretty anxious and emotionally messy. My next psych appointment is in a month and a half, and calling her sooner doesn't seem like an option since I can't afford to do the appointment any sooner than is booked - it's like $250 and I'm pretty poor. 

This happened once before, and I explained the situation to the chemist but despite knowing it's super dangerous to go cold turkey off antidepressants, they couldn't provide me an emergency refill - and this pharmacy knows me and are super helpful in general so I get the impression if there was anything they could do, they would've.

I hear of emergency scripts being a thing in the US, is it a thing here in Aus? Can I go to the hospital and get some or something?

The way my emotions are sort of spiralling right now (not to mention other physical effects of withdrawal) makes me scared for what I might be like in a week... I could easily end up with thoughts dark enough to land me in hospital anyway. So is there really nothing that can be done to prevent that...? 

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Dear Aly98,

Firstly, welcome to the forums we are so glad that you found your way to this supportive and welcoming community. We hope that you find ideas, options and support from the shared experiences and knowledge of all our members. This is a safe space to share and express your own feelings, struggles and experiences without judgement. As you are new to the forums, please know you are more likely to receive replies if you get involved with the community, respond and talk to members on existing threads, in addition to starting a thread of your own. Here are some thread links that you may find useful regarding anxiety, to get you started- https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/your-positive-story-please-share https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/self-help-tips-for-managing-anxiety

If you need more immediate contact, please use our support service either via phone 1300 22 4636 or web chat: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support It is fantastic that you are already engaged with a ‘psych’ and we encourage you to continue to see and discuss all your experiences with them. Your G.P can also be an excellent resource and help, especially if you cannot get in to see your ‘psych’ straight away. We hope that you find the support, experiences and suggestions of peers within the community to be helpful and we encourage you to continue engaging on the forums.

Regards

Sophie M

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Aly98,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums...

If you go to the nearest hospital to you and explain your situation..they should be able to give you a prescription....The same goes if you go to your local Dr...

I was out of scripts and ADs when I was visiting my son and he took me to his Dr....and I had no problems getting a new script....

Maybe you could give those a try....if not maybe a phone call to your psychiatrist’s office and let them know...Your psychiatrist, also can send by fax a copy of a new prescription to your chemist...

Hope this helps..

Kind thoughts..

Grandy..

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Al98,

Im sorry that you lost your script for your antidepressants.

As Sophie mentioned you could see your gp for a script, gp s prescribe antidepressants just let them know what happened and I’m sure they will be able to help you with a script.

Hang in there 

Leisa68
Community Member

Hi Aly98

I have had a similar problem a few years ago, and I was able to approach my pharmacist (I only use one pharmacy) and they were able to give me a box of antidepressants and were going to contact my psych to supply another script via fax the next day. I was not charged anything. I think it only works if you have the same pharmacist, but it is worth a try! The other suggestions on this thread are brilliant too. Good luck!

Leisa68