FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I feel flat

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

I don't feel happy and excited.  I feel depressed and flat.  Is it because of my roller coaster week of emotions? My parents? Or is it just ME. Maybe it's me the whole time, maybe I was the one who is sick. I don't know I am not making sense. I feel that everything should be back to normal; but it's not.  I actually feel more depressed now than before. And I don't get it.

But I should be happy. I should be happy in seeing my parents again.  So why aren't I? What is wrong with me. 

I just want to curl up in a ball and cry but I can't.  

Jo

6 Replies 6

Guest_3712
Community Member

Hi Jo3,

I know exactly how you feel. I am having a flat day too. Like you I keep wondering why I can't be happy and satisfied with what I have. Do you think sometimes our expectations are too high? Do we want things to be normal and good straight away and all the time?

I don't know what to tell you except be kind to yourself. If you are having a flat day try having a nice long bubble bath, play some music( not too sad) or if at all possible just try and get out and go for a walk.

I know it all sounds trite but sometimes  little distractions will lift you up. Try not to keep asking why, sometimes it just is and hopefully will pass.

Take care

Stressless

Lillybell
Community Member

Hi Jo, I was just in the middle of writing you a post. I hit enter and lost it all! Computers can be frustrating. Anyway what I was saying is that you have restoration but not necessarily reconciliation. By that I mean that you've had a positive restoring of the relationship but haven't reconciled the past. The issues that caused the separation in the first place haven't been addressed. And that's the difficulty for you. How do you move forward from here? Bringing up the past could jeopardise what's occurred but for you it still causes pain. You sit between a rock and a hard place. And I don't know the solution. Maybe down the track a bit you could write your parents a loving letter but one that tells them about the abuse and how difficult it has been for you. Playing happy families while carrying the knowledge that you've been abused by your brother, without an acknowledgement would be incredibly difficult. I wouldn't want to be in the same house with him myself. So, again it is understandable that you're not feeling happy.

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Jo

What you’re feeling is perfectly normal.  I really believe that. 

Your description of roller coast is brilliant.  What you’ve been going through has been horrendous for you, then smack, bang, wallop, you find out that it will be ‘ok’ to see your parents and so you go and visit them and that was an emotional blast of immense proportions for you.  Happy and stressful at the same time.  It’s no wonder you’re feeling the way you are.

On top of this, you’ve only just attended your grandma’s funeral … and as I’ve said before, funerals have got to be one of the hardest things to attend in this world.  So that takes a tremendous amount of will power and energy to get yourself “up” to attend that only to know that afterwards it’s going to be riding that rollercoaster downhill and fast.

You say you feel that everything should be back to normal … you feel that, but I bet you don’t believe that.  It can’t possibly go back to normal … I’ve had immense drama in my family as well and things will never be the same again.  This hurts my Mum almost on a daily basis, but things have happened and now we just live with how things are now (I guess all the time though, having the knowledge of what happened in your mind as a kind of bad scar in the memory bank).  You’ll have this as well … BUT I can see where things can mend themselves a little bit.  But it will be a slow process and has to be that way … over time and to know that the mending won’t ever be a massive turnaround. 

However Jo, when you look at what things were like, say, 3 weeks ago … and see the difference right now, I’ll bet you’d settle for how it is now every day of the week, yeah??

You say you should be happy?  Why?  Did you win Powerball last night? (ps:  just for the record, I didn’t)  You’re still in deep depression … and you’ve just been to a funeral.  Give yourself some time to chill for a little while and if you can, try to give the over analysing of things a rest for a little while … and you know, it’s ok to accept that you’ve got this illness and to accept that it’s making you feel constantly sad.  These feelings will eventually lessen with time, with professional guidance and with medication and appropriate therapy.  It will be a process to go through, but I believe in you Jo … and so does everyone else here on Beyond Blue.

Ok ok, I’ve rambled again, but if you’ve been able to take something out of the above (even if it’s the knowledge that “No, I didn’t win Powerball last night), then I feel as though I’ve made a bit of a contribution to you.  And to me that is a very worthy cause.

Cheers

Neil

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Neil

No I didn't win power ball either!!

You know, reading your message to me makes me cry because I am trying to deal with too much.  This week has been a **** of a week and I can't deal with it. I'm not dealing with it. I need to take one day at a time, but even that sometimes is too hard.

I know feel like I'm heading down instead of up.  Feel like I am breaking down now maybe because I know I have my parents.  I don't know, i don't anything, i am so dumb.

I know that things will never be the same again, they can't be. I'm tired of all this

Neil, you always help me, all the time, you always know what to say and not just with me but others as well.  Me on the other hand never knows what to say to people.

I'm sorry Neil, I'm not that great this afternoon.

Jo

Neil_1
Community Member

Jo,

My friend, it's my pleasure ... I feel at least I'm doing some good if I can post back to someone to help.

But you hit the nail on the head with your reply ... YES you are trying to take on too much, but the trouble with that is, your mind is allowing you to filter some things out or at least put some things on the back burner.  But please please try ... try to just focus on ONE thing and one thing only.

Here we go again ... I know ... right them down on a piece of paper, then choose ONE thing that you want to think about.  Circle that one thing;  perhaps even put the piece of paper on the fridge ... block out all the other things you wrote and just look at that one thing.  For today.

Tomorrow ... well, put a line through today's circle, and tomorrow choose another one to circle and go with that.

What do you reckon Jo?

Neil

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Neil,

It's not easy to just think of one thing.  My head is spinning, i hate it.  

I'm just trying to get through one day at a time.  I know my mum is worried about me because she told my sister that I didn't look too well - really!!! But I don't think she understands depression or how it affects us.  Anyway enough about her.

Neil, i don't know what to do.  I am seeing my psych tomorrow and i know i will be talking about this week.

I just feel fragile

Jo