Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I am suffering with depression and harmful thoughts but can't tell my parents.

Community Member

I am suffering with depression and harmful thoughts but can't tell my parents as they say mental health and depression is just an excuse for people to be lazy. I have no one to talk to about it as my school counsellor has to legally contact my parents. What can I do? I am really suffering. I have to hide in the bathrooms to cry, or I have to hold back tears and emotions.

What can I do??

4 Replies 4

Dear Lydia,

Thank you very much for having the bravery to share this, and for reaching out for help - it really can be easier to just despair or give up sometimes, and we are glad you haven't.

Just to clarify - have you had the experience of your School Counsellor reporting to your parents before? Counsellors only are required to invalidate confidentiality if they think you are at severe risk, whether that be from yourself or others. Is that what is happening for you? If you do feel you are at risk, please call 000 - it IS an emergency, and we want to make sure you are safe!

Please know that, if you end people well and truly outside your circle to talk to, we can be here for you 24/7 - you can call us: 1300 22 4636 or click here to start a webchat with us.

Kids Helpline are also amazing, and also quite easy to reach - 1800 55 1800 or look them up at https://kidshelpline.com.au/

Is there any possibility of getting to talk privately with your GP? a mental health plan and other referrals might be genuinely relevant right now. 

Please do stay in touch, Lydia - we hope we will hear from you soon!


Sophie M.

Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lydia,

Wellcome to our forums.

Thank you for reaching out to us we are here for you.

Im sorry that your parents have that perception I understand it must be difficult for you.

Can I ask if you have another family member you feel close enough with to talk about how your feeling? A cousin? A Auntie? Or even a close friend.

I understand it’s really distressing to have these types of thoughts.

Sophie has given you some great advice.

Is it possible for you to make an appointment with your gp so you can discuss how you are feeling?

Please come back to us….


Hi Sophie,

I believe that the counsellor rule is put in place by my school.

I am not sure whether I would be able to book a GP appointment as I am under 16 and require parental paperwork I believe.

I will consider the option of a webchat. it sounds like it may be helpful.

Thank you!

Hello Lydia, I'm so very sorry this has been happening, but as Sophie has said, only if the counsellor believes you are a threat to yourself, then they contact your parents, so what you might be able to do is ask the counsellor not to tell anyone, and if for some reason the school inquiries, which they shouldn't, you could ask them to mention you have come to them for lack of being able to concentrate, just a suggestion.

If you have a sibling at or over the age of 18, they could take you to talk with a doctor, or may be an aunt etc could do the same.

Have a look at this by googling it:
https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au › servicesandsupport

and https://raisingchildren.net.au › pre-teens › teen-health-c..

Please let us know how you get on.