FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to get interested in life again?

Damaged
Community Member
Hi all. I have been suffering anxiety and depression for a really long time. I am really trying to beat it though I always seem to find myself repeating the same patterns because anything outside of my standard routine is too hard to deal with. My life at the moment life consists of a 58 hour work week which doesn’t leave much time for anything through the week. On the weekends I catch up on house work, sleep and maybe see a movie and that’s about it.    

I have recently started going to therapy again and she told me I should find a hobby and find groups of people to meet up with,though meeting in any kind of group is kind of like hell for me. On top of that I really don’t have anything that I am interested in at the moment. Most of the time I just feel pretty empty inside. I guess I have lost interest in most things over the years.

I Know I need to socialize more if I want to improve, and there has to be more to life than work and bills though I am not sure where to start?

Maybe I am

past the point of no return?    

Beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

128 Replies 128

Scott_Depression
Community Member

Hi Damaged

Well done on posting - a very brave step to make, and a very positive step too!

First things first - you are NOT beyond the point of no return.  There is ALWAYS sunshine over the horizon, good times ahead.

I must admit, I've been in very deep depressions and I can assure you, it is possible to come out of it.

Are you currently on medication - could it possibly need adjustment?

I know it must be tough when you're working so many hours, but think it might be worth your while making time to check in with your GP for meds to be reviewed.

What's the deal with working so many hours?  Are you able to cut back?  I doubt you're helping your mental health by working so many hours, but then again, maybe you love your work?

I know what you mean regarding meeting new people & hobbies.  I don't really have hobbies myself - more just a few interests like comedy, documentaries, movies, etc.

Do you have family/friends that might be able to support?

Sorry to pepper you with questions - will check back in tomorrow night to see how you're doing

Take care

Scott

Damaged
Community Member
Hi. Thank you for your reply and the encouragement. I know I should be Abel to come out of it, just sometimes it seems hopeless.

Ok, as for the long working hours.  I work that many hours mainly because I have a pretty low pay rate and I live alone with a mortgage over my head. Plus they expect me to work that many hours.

It’s kind of a vicious cycle and I agree with you that It`s not really helping the situation at all though I can’t really afford to work less hours,  which just adds to my feeling of helplessness.

As far as meds I have been on and off them for years. I am currently off them so it is probably a good idea to go to a GP. I will try to do it soon.

I don’t really have any support from friends and family. I guess I pushed all of my friends away over the years because I didn’t know how to deal with them and what I was going through. And family is just too busy to worry about my problems.

Thanks again for your input I will try to hang in there, it’s just tough right now.

Hi D

Again, well done for posting on Beyond Blue (BB) – it’s a great positive step and I hope you have a great experience.  I’ve only been posting on here since start of the year (a new years resolution, actually, to try and offer support to others) and during my short time on here I’ve read some often heartbreaking, but also equally inspiring posts.

Think the meds should be priority #1 at the moment – I know it’s damn hard, but try and see the doctors ASAP.  Reason why I say this is that just EVERYTHING is so much harder when you’re brain isn’t running right (i.e. has the right chemicals available at the right time).  I know when I’ve been on a rough trot, my thoughts get a bit foggy and I don’t necessarily make the best decisions.  Your recovery will be much quicker and a damn sight easier if you get the right help from the doctors.

One other thing that the doctor can do for you is give you a mental health plan.  I’ve read posts where, if a doctor refers you on, you can get 10 or 12 visits to a psych covered by Medicare – might be worth investigating?

I hear what you’re saying re pushing friends away – I’ve been guilty of the same & it seems to be a pretty common theme with people with depression – it’s unfortunately part of the disease’s symptoms.  Wish I could give you a quick fix on that front, but don’t have one to hand – I’ll think about it but maybe read some of the other posts re depression and see if any good suggestions come up.  I would say that sometimes it’s not terribly appealing to others to hang out with us when we’re mopey & feeling down – understandable really!  Thing is, if you get yourself better you might be able to re-establish these relationships and explain what’s been going on.

Please don’t laugh, but have you got any pets?  I tell you what, pets NEVER judge and are always happy to see you.  Even a few tropical fish can do wonders!  I have some tropical fish, a dog and some chooks plus 2 ducks in the backyard!  They just make me smile, and even fish can be happy to see you when you’re home from work (probably just looking forward to being fed!!)  ha ha  Worth considering?

Ok – now for those work hours.  Understand that all those hours are necessary at the moment to cover the mortgage.

What’s your place like?  Reason I ask is that maybe you can rent out a room (maybe 2?).  I know this comes at a significant cost to your privacy, but I’ve house shared before & been grateful for the company, and person I rented off enjoyed company and rent income too!  Not sure how old you are either, so that might factor in.  Anyway, I’d suggest it might be a good way to cover the mortgage and get some company

Another thing to consider would be selling your place.   This might not be appealing to think about, but might be a good move in the medium term.  Having said this, please don’t make a decision like this while in your current state of mind – leave all big decisions for a while.

I’m writing all of this assuming you’re a guy, but not sure if I’m right! Not many clues in posts, but then again, don’t think my advice would change if you’re a girl anyway! Ha ha

Take care & keep posting – you’re doing great

Scott

Damaged
Community Member

Hi Scott. Thanks for the reply, there is some really good advice in there.

Feeling a bit better today, had a slightly more positive day at work which has helped to calm me down a bit.Even depressed people have to have some good days right?

I am going to start taking meds again as of tomorrow. I found a box of pills in my draw which I had left over, should help me by till I can see a GP.Hopefully It will take the edge off a bit.

I would like to get some pets though I live in a apartment at the moment so a bit limited,though maybe some fish would something to think about.I would love to get a dog someday.

As for my place it is a 2 bedroom apartment in Sydney,and I have thought about renting a room out though I don't really have the space at the moment.and in a way not sure if I am ready to live with someone even though I am hardly ever there through the week. lol

I think selling could be a really good good move for me since a lot of the felling of being trapped revolves around trying to hold on to it. It would certainly unload a lot of pressure. I will give it some more thought I think it could help a lot.

BTW you assumed right I am a guy and I am 39:)

Thanks.

Damaged
Community Member

Why did my post get flagged?

If this happens, they usually give you an e-mail outlining why this has happened - check your email inbox

Cheers

Scott

Hey there. I didn't get a email? Not sure why. I'll post again tomorrow I just need to get some sleep right now.

cheers.

Grrrrr - can be a bit frustrating, but sleep can work wonders!!

Sometimes it's a good idea to type up and save in word document, etc then paste into post - saves heartache if you lose lots of typing!

Have a great sleep

Scott

Damaged
Community Member

Hey my post finally appeared. Not sure what happened last night. Maybe it was the grammar police.lol

Anyway feeling a bit better today much relived that the weekend is finally here. I will try to stay on top for as long as i can.Really looking forward to some R&R.

Cheers.