FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Getting tested

a-u-d
Community Member

hi everyone, i’ve been struggling a lot lately and i have reached out to my mum. she suggested i see a therapist but we never followed through with it. i really think i should be tested for depression and i have taken the tests on apple heath and it says i’m at severe risk of depression as well as anxiety. should i remind my mum about the therapist? i’ve had a good week but i have some really bad weeks.

2 Replies 2

indigo22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi a-u-d,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out to us.

I am so glad you are able to talk with your mum about this, it's so important to have someone to support you.

It's hard to say how accurate online tests are so if you feel you are struggling, it's would be best to visit your GP and talk about what has been happening so they can make an assessment. They are able to set up a mental health plan if necessary (which includes counselling) so this would be your first step. It's quite normal to feel okay some of the time and not okay the rest of the time so I would definitely talk to your mum and get checked so you know one way or the other.

I hope this helps, I will be here if you would like to continue the conversation.

Take care,

indigo22

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi a-u-d

Definitely can't hurt to remind your mum. While it's great how much she's in your corner when it comes to supporting you, sometimes mums need a reminder. Being a mum myself, occasionally I need a push to follow through with things. My kids manage me though pushes/prompts occasionally.🙂

It's good you're questioning how you feel. So important to question our feelings. If something feels off or we feel like we're really struggling and have seriously lost direction, being able to feel the need for guidance is such an important feeling. In fact, I've found it to be a key feeling. Guidance unlocks a lot of stuff, in a lot of constructive ways. It can unlock our ability to access feelings in a lot of really constructive ways, unlock our ability to see the way forward, unlock our ability to gain greater levels of self understanding and a whole lot more. A lot is about unlocking certain abilities while helping with skill development when it comes to life skills.

As I've always said to my kids, 'If you need guidance and I can't give it to you, we'll find someone who can, together'. Even if you say to your mum 'I'm ready to graduate to the next stage of my life and I really need a guide', that may be enough to prompt her.