FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling empty and less motivated

Madie_Madz
Community Member

Last year i was diagnosed with depression, i thought i was going through was "Normal". As the year went on i started to go down hill, my mood went down even more and at the same time i was feeling Empty/numb. I'd feel a small amount of emotion then it would just vanish leaving me feeling dull, along with that i've lost the motivation to do anything, i bearly go outside, i'm getting sick more often, i am withdrawing from my friends. 

I am seeking help but i am not sure if its working, i am taking medication but i still feel the same as when i started taking these meds, i am just so confused. What can i do to feel more uh motivated and less numb?

1 Reply 1

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Madie/Madz

I'm wondering whether your GP or anyone's explored possible physical reasons for the sense of depression and emptiness. As a 53yo gal, I've experienced a variety of different reasons for finding myself in a depression, with some being mentally related, some being soul destroying and some being purely physical. Has your GP done any blood tests lately, looking for some possible culprits (iron, b12, thyroid etc)? While we could be depressed for a number of mental or soulful kinds of reasons, a new physical reason can add to it all, leading the depression to feel so much worse. Kinda like, if you imagine a depression as a well or depression in the ground, we could be half way down when a seriously depressing thyroid issue develops, suddenly fast tracking us into the absolute depths. I find a depression can sometimes be multifaceted, with a whole stack of depressing things all going on at once.

I think one of the many challenges that comes with a depression involves getting a better sense of exactly what is depressing me. While I've managed to gain a better sense over the years when it comes to what feels like depressing inner dialogue or what feels like a depressing belief system or what feels like a soul destroying lack of adventure or depressing relationship with someone around me, there's one thing I just can't gain a good sense of and that's a new chemical deficiency or imbalance. I need a doctor and blood tests or some others tests for that kind of stuff. A sleep study can be a good test for a depressing disorder like sleep apnea, for example.

We're definitely complex creatures, that's for sure. We can be doing all the right things that people say we should do to not be depressed but if there's an underlying issue that's never addressed, it doesn't matter what we do. As long as that underlying issue is there we'll feel it and its side effects because we're sensitive enough to be able to feel it.