FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anger and inability to feel happiness

Creek24
Community Member

Hi! 
Just wanting some advise on how to change behaviour for feelings of unhappiness when I have nothing to be unhappy about and feeling like I have an inability to feel happiness. Progressively getting worse, even though I can function perfectly well in my job and career. 
Desperately wanting to change but can’t 

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Unhappiness can be a lack of positive thinking.  Positive thinking is not a cure for depression nor helps avoid it  but it can help your motivation when your depressive cycle is ending.

Living a life as a negative person is often not realised, however,  if you change to a positive attitude you'll pick out negative thinkers immediately. 

The transition from negative to positive isn't hard, steps go like this- acknowledge it, absorb ways to help you (attend motivation lectures, read up), constantly alter your views to positive ones, replace achieved goals with new goals.

Google- beyondblue 30 minutes can change your life

Beyondblue the timing of motivation 

Also, realising your luck eg got a sore leg (think, at least I can walk), got a low budget week (think, at least I have food) and so on.

I hope that helps. Reply anytime

TonyWK 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Creek24

Personally, I've found happiness relies on 3 factors. If certain elements relating to those factors are missing, I can't feel happiness.

The first can involve mental factors, as Tony mentions. If the wrong beliefs, perceptions and inner dialogue are there, they will get in the way of me be able to feel happiness. At the same time, if there are a lack of the right beliefs, perceptions and inner dialogue, that can be a factor too.

The second can involve physical factors. From first hand experience I can tell you it's impossible to feel happiness if you have untreated sleep apnea or a depressing B12 deficiency. A sense of happiness returns when chemical imbalances are treated. If certain chemistry that relates to feeling energy in life is missing, there can be a depressing lack of excitement. Our body's just not physically working in exciting ways.

The third can involve soulful factors. I'm convinced we are born to be wonderful (full of wonder), adventurous, curious, awe struck at times, easily excitable, questioning, passionate in certain ways or about certain things etc etc. We are born to be inspired and born to continue coming to life in new ways, constantly evolving. So the question can sometimes be 'What am I experiencing a soul destroying lack of?'. Excitement? Adventure?Inspiration? Forward momentum? Could it be a depressing lack of difference?

Then there's the trifecta. For example, a soulful sense of adventure can produce a lot of dopamine. With those 2 factors combined, our inner dialogue can become 'I can feel life running through me and it feels exciting'. And that is the feeling of happiness.