FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Diagnosis and advice please

Rhys_4
Community Member

I think my mental health has been declining for a while now. I got very sick in 2019 at age 33 and spent a long time in the ICU. It took months for me to even walk again. The brain illness has left me unable to work in my profession being a QS which I spent years studying for and building a career in. I have not been able to earn an income and I have been relying on dwindling savings because pvt disability insurance has not paid out yet lumpsum and it keeps gettin delayed. I’ve been trying 2 get some flexible non-professional work which I think I might still be able to manage. I’ve really been struggling with trying to earn money and I feel that the ongoing decline in my mental health is making trying to work again impossible, especially as its compounded by the cognitive difficulties and fatigue I’ve been struggling with on a day-to-day basis since 2019. All the changes that have happened in my life dealing with the after-effects of the 2019 illness plus this awful and ongoing delay with the insurance company has left me feeling lost, sad and unable to motivate myself to do anything. Not saying money will solve all the problems but I feel in my heart that if the insurance company finally paid, I could be in a much better position to try and improve my mental health but in the absence of that happening, finances are getting worse and I am sinking deeper into a depression spiral.

I am trying 2 claim for some small temporary income protection payments with my insurance company for the depression, but I need to know if I am actually depressed and what to do about it as I also want 2 get treatment and get better. I went online and took a depression diagnosis test which confirmed that I am depressed. Basically, my symptoms which I’ve been experiencing more intensely for several months now include constant feelings of hopelesness, not eating and losing weight, not having energy and feeling overwhelmed (even if I’m not doing anything), not doing the things I used to enjoy, struggling to make decisions, not wanting 2 go anywhere and lately I’ve been wondering if just not waking up would better than running out of money n being forced out on the streets.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me understand what type of depression I am suffering from, if I am indeed suffering from depression, and if you could please recommend how long I need 2 recover and what I should be doing to recover?

4 Replies 4

Beth_123
Community Member

Dear Rhys_4,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your struggles with us. It sounds like you have been through a lot over the past few years, with your illness and the ongoing battles. It is not surprising that you are experiencing symptoms of depression given the stress and uncertainty you are currently facing.

In terms of recovery, it is difficult to say exactly how long it will take as everyone's journey is unique. However, it is important to prioritize your mental health and take the necessary steps to heal. Considering your current circumstances, I would recommend that you take a period of time to focus on your recovery if you are able to afford to do so with the help of the temporary income insurance payments you mentioned. This will allow you to devote more time and energy towards self-care and treatment without the added stress of trying to take on new work responsibilities.

In terms of what you can do to recover, there are a few steps you can take. First, prioritize self-care activities such as exercise, healthy eating, and getting enough sleep. These activities can help boost your mood and improve your overall well-being. Additionally, therapy can be incredibly helpful in managing symptoms of depression and providing coping strategies. Finally, consider reaching out to your support network, whether it be family, friends, or a support group, for additional emotional support during this difficult time.

Remember, recovery is a process and it is important to be patient and kind to yourself as you work towards healing. With the right treatment and support, it is possible to overcome depression and regain your sense of well-being.

Take care, good luck and keep us posted with your progress. We’re here to help.

Rhys_4
Community Member

Thank you Dr_Beth,

I will certainly start trying to do some more exercise and and eat some healthy food. I had actually been thinking about that. I will also look into therapy (affordability dependant).

I think its the 'uncertainty' as you say thats really causing most of the symptoms of depression. Hopefully that will change once things improve but I'm glad you agree that it is depression so at least I can use that as a starting point in my therapy. I realize that it's difficult to give an exact time frame for a recovery but I just wanted an opinion on how long (in your experience) someone in my position should expect to block off for a recovery period?

Thanks again for your kind words of support. 🙂

Beth_123
Community Member

It is such a pleasure.

Finding the right therapist will be the key to a quick and successful journey back to your well-being so remember to take your time with this part while doing all the important self-care tasks. Don't feel pressured to stick with the same therapist if you are not clicking. Good idea to start off with explaining to your therapist that you have been diagnosed with depression and help them to understand your goals.

As mentioned, it is difficult to say exactly how long each persons journey will take, some can take years to get back to their old self and some never do, while others can recover in a few short months. As a starting point, take six months off to focus on your well-being and follow the guidance of your therapist. Consider keeping a daily gratitude journal for the next six months (maybe longer) and perhaps do something kind for someone else once a month. You would be surprised about how good it makes you feel.

Hopefully the uncertainty in your life will give way with time and you will feel better soon.

Let us know how it's going and feel free to reach out for support here any time. Perhaps set a reminder on your phone for today's date in September later this year and let us know how you are.

Rhys_4
Community Member

Thank you Dr_Beth.

You have been so helpful. I will certainly check in and I hope to give you positive news in six motnhs time. 🙂

Kind Regards, Rhys