FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Confused

Houses
Community Member

Hi I’m confused due to a situation where my son has left home with his girlfriend who has lived with us due to her leaving home . Her family hate him have threatened to kill him accused us of being bad people alcoholics etc which isn’t true. It seems like a manipulation as they are a family who are very controlling. I’ve also had some stressful times at work recently and this bombshell has thrown me to the ruin as now I’m very upset confused feeling like Why do I keep being nice and caring when all

I get is abused taken advantage of and now my 19 year old son has left me he is my only child and we have always been close. I’m very sensitive to this and concerned 

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

So, your son has lived at home and has a GF and she came to live under your roof from her parents place. Now they have both left your home. You put it "now my son has left me" yet you didnt include why he left home?? 

I assume you had a heated discussion about something?

Any family would be concerned and needed reassurance as to why their daughter left home. Yes, her family might not be easily accepting of your family and might even "cling" onto concepts that raise their concern via criticism. This is commonly caused by lack of familiarity, eg parties not knowing each other enough. That can be resolved by a meeting with them to try to find common ground.

As for your son he is a adult now and I would suggest that you contact him anyway you can with a simple message "we are here at all times for you both, when you want we can help. Love you"

Until them allow them to spread their wings and that has been more difficult for you with him being an only child along with you always being close. But times change, circumstances change and he is exploring a new love and life. Not letting him go freely is a restriction he wouldnt want. 

I suggest throwing yourself into hobbies, interests, support groups etc to make yourself as busy as you can and wait till he contacts you. 

If you'd like to talk further and discuss why he left home I'm here for you.

TonyWK