FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Acknowledgement to Geoff

Neil_1
Community Member

To Geoff,

I've been thinking of doing this post for a while now and so thought today is as good a day to do it as any.

Can I just say that the experience, advice and support that Geoff brings to this site is incredible.  We know you’ve had your long ride through hell … just as most of us are experiencing ourselves right now.  Your journey was damn long and though you’re through now, I know there are times that demons come back to haunt you.

As I’ve referenced in the past, you have been the one constant on this site for the whole time and that’s evidenced by the incredibly high number of posts that you’ve sent.  Over 1,500 posts provided to people in need, people in crisis, people crying out for help, for support ... people like us … you’ve responded and sent replies to so many and you have made a difference. A HUGE difference.

I would hazard a guess that you have saved untold amount of lives by your support and advice when people were at their lowest ebb and about to end things.  Things like this just emphasis to me just how amazing and truly special you are Geoff.

I’m sorry if I’ve gone all fuzzy and warm with this post and have singled Geoff out specially (because for anyone who comes on here and posts responses – they are responses of support, care, advice and love – love for the other people who are suffering – and everyone should be acknowledged for being such wonderful, kind spirited, compassionate and the absolute best human beings on this planet). 

But I just wanted to say a quick thank you to Geoff for his constant advice, knowledge and unwavering support.

Thanx mate and one day if we ever meet, I would love to shake your hand, buy you a beer and sit and have a few frosty ones with you.

Cheers

Neil

Ps:  I really don’t know what bought that on … it’s 10:36am, so that must have been one helluva coffee that I had this morning!  Having said that, every word above is true and straight from the heart.

11 Replies 11

Lillybell
Community Member

Well said Neil and I agree with every word you've said. For the short time I've been on here I have admired Geoff for the support he gives everyone and I sometimes wonder how he is doing himself because he doesn't mention his own trials much at all. So a big thank you too Geoff, for the selfless support you give. And maybe a question too. How are you doing?  And while I'm at it, that also goes for you Neil. You do an amazing job supporting people too.

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Well said Neil.

Geoff, you have been amazing, helping others when you are dealing with your issues as well.

I admire you so much for your continuous support to others.  And I hope you are doing okay too Geoff.

Jo

Girl_Anachronism
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Agreed to all of the above.

Geoff and yourself are the first kind voices I found on here in a very dark place. Again, not to diminish everyone else who has helped me, you are all beautiful, shining beacons of hope incarnated as people.

I do worry aswell how you two in particular are doing sometimes myself, so in addition to this thankyou I am going to say:

How are you travelling, Neill and Geoff?

GA

anxiousguy
Community Member

Geoff is an unsung hero. He has responded to my posts when I have been at rock bottom and struggling (and has supported many many others). He has a profound knowledge of aspects of mental illness and is very understanding of the problems others face.

Geoff for Australian of the year 2014

Mares73
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dearest Geoff I'm so glad Neil started this threadeveryword he said is true. And can I say I'm having computer problems where everytime I try to post a reply-it dissapeared & I get a "system error" message. So I've been trying to get through to you all day & am now trying my iPhone so hopefully you will get this but forgive spelling errors as this screen is so small. Geoff you have been an incredible source of support, advice, hope & inspiration for so many people. I know when I first joined you welcomed me & helped me to feel comfortable on the forum by explaining its purpose & you often provided me with wisdom, insight & encouragement. You helped boost my selfesteem when I was really low & you always replied when I was struggling. You are an inspiration & a wonderful ambassador for BB- I think they should make you one as you give so generously your time & support from your heart. I myself can't thankyou enough for all you do. It's always reassuring to see your name & know you've been on the forums helping people. I don't know much of your story but only if you felt comfortable sharing this- I'd be interested as to what you found most helpful in your ongoing recovery? Again that's personal & I don't expect you to answer that unless you want too. I'm so glad for you that things have improved for you & I hope they continue to do so. Geoff there are no appropriate words for the inspiring, generous, thoughtful person you are  & I thankyou from the bottom of my heart for being there during my journey. I'll always remember you as one of the first to reach out to me & your compassion & care helped me so much to stick with this wonderful site & to help others as much as I could in following your example. Thankyou for the beautiful person that you are & I hope you will stick around as long as possible because there's not many people like you Geoff & you are admired, cared for &. Many of us have such affection for you. I don't know if you'd heard about the roadshow but Jo & I were hoping to meetup halfway for core members. Then I realised Neil is in ACT so we may land on him but if you are interested we would love you to join the meetup wherever it may be. If ur interested just give us an idea of where you are based. Anyway I digress-to finish up-thanks for being you & for the inspiration & hope & insight you bring to our lives. Love Mary (Mares73) xxx

guest75
Community Member

I agree with everything Neil said, Geoff is a fantastic member of this great resource for those of us suffering

Geoff's words along with others have helped me up off the ground when i was down and just wanted to give up

vip
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Geoff your the best totally agree.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Neil and all those of you below, I am so absolutely overwhelmed, indebted and beholden by your words of appreciation and can I also thank all of you for being so supportive to others, because it's just not me holding the fort, it's a group effort.

A forum like this for people with depression and this covers a huge variety of illness's in which come under the umbrella all headed by the title of depression is enormous, and it makes it's bed in us and therefore can stay in us for many years, so it's each and everyone one of us who has to chip away at it, not only for ourselves but for those who visit this site.

My literature has now fallen apart, so my words of support are not so grammatical, but I blame this on my head injury, never the less the point gets through.

The amazing point is that all of you are still struggling to overcome your own depression, whether it ranges from suicide attempts down to social anxiety, but in the middle of this there are an enormous amount of other problems, but what I would like to say is even though you are still suffering you can lift yourself up to another level and do the very best to help other people, and by goodness you have achieved this.

There are so many people who thoroughly appreciate every suggestion or piece of advice that you all do just to help those people to try and recover, so we all work together, and many of you work in the hours that I am nia nia, living the strange hours that force me to.

Again I truly want to thank you and as I am writing this the new theme song to 'saving Mr. Banks' is playing on TV, how apt that is to finish off. Your very best. Geoff. x

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Neil, I had responded back to you and all those other lovely people very early this morning but it has not been posted, so I will wait and see, I certainly hope that it hasn't been sucked up in the vacuum.

It was a reply that you all deserved, and if it doesn't appear I will try again, I'm so sorry that it seems as though I have not appreciated your lovely comments. Geoff.