FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

The sports desk

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I'm a big sports fan (of the armchair kind) and find that watching sport on tele is a good way to distract myself when I'm down and dwelling on things or if my mind is racing. This time of year it's cricket, with tennis coming up. And Christmas, oh! Boxing Day test, Sydney to Hobart. Love it. Then the Aussie Open around Australia Day. Then the start of the motor racing year, then the footy season (league and rugby for me), the Tour de France, Wimbledon, Formula 1. Sigh.

Any other sports tragics out there? Looking forward to the Oz/ New Zealand test tomorrow!

Kaz

95 Replies 95

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I do love a bit of motorsport and there is usually an opportunity to get off the couch and go and catch a race, rally, hill climb, drags etc...I love it!

Jack

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Jack, thanks for posting. Yep, love a bit of motor racing myself. Been to a few V8 races - Bathurst a couple of times, and Phillip Island once, and the Melbourne GP many years ago. Love it - the noise, the smell, the speed, gets the old heart racing.  It's a very different experience to watching it on tele (which is also great). Never been to the drags though, I watched them on tele (SBS I think). I reckon they'd be exciting. Do you have a track nearby?

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I do like football (soccer). I have found world cups to be rather a thing. Not really a sport person either. I think it is the drama and suspense of it and that I end up with a few favourites that I want to see do well. 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Kazzl, well I join the club although car racing doesn't interest me, but cricket, football, horse racing, rugby union are my favorites.

The Sydney to Hobart is great but would never ever be seen doing it. Geoff.

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hiya Geoff - Oz v the Windies test starts today! Media thinking seems to be it'll be a walkover for us - hope we're not too complacent or we could get a surprise. 

Horse racing eh? Don't follow it now, but I have fond memories of Saturdays when I was little sitting with my dad while he went through the form guide. The races were broadcast on local radio (country town) so we'd pick horses for each race and see who had 'won' by the end of the day.

Hi Gruffudd - I'm trying to learn soccer (not to play, to watch). My husband is English and has tried to teach me, but as I didn't grow up with it I find it very confusing. I like the World Cup though.

the_motorcycle_boy
Community Member
I really like watching the cricket and rugby league on the telly.  Although we've beaten the West Indies, playing New Zealand in New Zealand could be a different story as I heard it said their wickets are like the wickets in England!

I'm mad on rugby league too! and I don't mind a world-class boxing match now and then either.

TMB

Another awesome thread.

I love most sports - though not a big fan of synchronised swimming.

But the cricket is always awesome - and I love the Test matches and the Big Bash as well.  Glued to the TV each night to check the Big Bash action.  Enjoy the commentary from the different ones - that Freddy Flintoff is an absolute crack-up - he should be a stand up comedian.

Yes, the NZ'ers will be tough to beat over there and also, their grounds are so small.  Many big scores and loads of sixes.

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I like the Big Bash too Neil, especially the commentary. Did you see it last night, love Freddy Flintoff he he.

So, what's wrong with synchronised swimming then? 😉 It's good for a giggle. And I don't doubt their fitness and stamina - must take hours to get their hair and make up like that. Not to mention sewing on all those sequins! (Apologies to any synchronised swimmers out there, I know they are real athletes, just find the show bizzy thing a bit much. I don't discriminate though, I find rhythmic gymnastics a bit ridiculous too.)

Looking forward to more cricket and the tennis must be starting soon. Do you watch the tennis Neil?

Cheers

Kaz

Thanks for the unexpected reply. I was kinda expecting to hear from Kazzi! but maybe another time... As you say, the New Zealanders will be hard to beat over in New Zealand but in the spirit of "Go, the underdog!" and "Give em a fair go!" we should see some excellent cricket. I am certainly finding the Test cricket, in Australia, very exciting at present with heaps of hundreds being scored and lots of records tumbling. What a marvelous time for Oz cricket! Dynamite thread!!!