FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social Distancing Film Club

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi All,

I hope everyone is staying safe and well during this hectic time. Since it looks like a fair number of us are due for some extended time inside, I thought I might poke around Netflix and see what was available that I might recommend. I think this would be a great place to talk about films, especially our favorites to watch when home sick or our go-to rewatchables. The ones below are all available on Australian Netflix as of the time of posting. I did my best to avoid anything too heavy/serious/related to sickness!

Action & Adventure:

Princess Mononoke (1997): Gorgeously animated environmentalist fairytale with great English-language voice acting
John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum (2019): incredibly stylish, hyper-violent third entry in the hitman series starring Keanu Reeves
The Matrix (1999): mind-bending story about a society run as a computer simulation
Jurassic Park (1993): Feel-good but thrilling classic about a theme park where dinosaurs are brought back to life
Baby Driver (2017): heist movie about a getaway driver with a great soundtrack

Kids & Family

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (1989): Excellent adventure about the search for the Holy Grail with Harrison Ford and Sean Connery
The Iron Giant (1999): Touching animated movie about a boy’s relationship with a robot
Shrek/Shrek 2 (2001/2004): Funny animated send-up of fairytales enjoyable for adults as well
Matilda (1996): Danny DeVito’s adaptation of the Roald Dahl story of a precocious girl and the unimpressive adults in her life
Hairspray (2007): campy adaptation of the John Waters original about an aspiring singer in 1960s Baltimore

97 Replies 97

Hello, thanks for the recs, I might check out Logan Lucky, I have not heard of it!

I saw Uncut Gems recently and it was well worth a watch.It was really immersing.

Also love inherent vice, what did you think?

Hi everyone!

Uncut Gems, I saw you watched Unfriended: Dark Web. I've just watched that myself. What did you think of the film? I've seen the Spiderman movie too, so awesome.

I would highly recommend Logan Lucky, Sleepy21! Immersive is exactly the right word for Uncut Gems. You can tell what I had just watched when it was time to pick my username lol...

I read the book Inherent Vice a few years ago and loved it, found it totally confusing and wild and enjoyable (which I think is the point), and I think the movie does a great job of adapting that to the screen. It was my second time watching it but I have to say I still don't think I understood too much more of the plot this time around, but the acting and the general vibe of the movie are more important I think. What did you think?

Oops, forgot to respond to Jemma!

I have to say I wasn't too impressed with Unfriended: Dark Web, but I admire the inventiveness and the risk of making a movie that just shows one screen the whole time. Unfortunately I just don't think it's terribly cinematic. But these days, cooped up at home, I would take a kind of silly horror movie over a really serious and scary one every time.

What did you think? My girlfriend and her friend who I watched it with (remotely) enjoyed it much more.

Best,

Gems

@uncut_gems I looked at reviews online and many people agreed with the cinematic side of things. I'm a sucker for movies filmed on computers or handheld video cameras, I really enjoy them. I liked Unfriended, it was quite unexpected at the end.

Does anyone have any horror movie recommendations?

Hi Gems,

That's amazing that the book has the same hectic vibe as the Inherent Vice movie. It was really fun to watch but I also didn't understand it at all or put the pieces together into any real whole.I liked how you got a real sense of the time and place it was set in, from the colourful characters, they way they spoke, some of the minor interactions and cameos... it was really fun to watch.

Interested to check out Logan Lucky... i'm just recommending Uncut Gems to everyone at the moment, I think it's a really good, distracting, whole experience for these times. I hoped your user name was a reference to it!!

eight
Community Member
:(( australian netflix is a wasteland compared to american netflix. spiderverse went to netflix in the us back in june but not australia which is very inconvenient for me. my search continues then

@jemma09,

I have loads of horror recommendations! What subgenres are you into/what are some of your favorites? I made a list of some of my favorites of the decade:

Get Out (2017)
The Witch (2015)
It Follows (2014)
The Descent (2005)
Let the Right One In (2008)
The Host (2006)
Hereditary (2018)
28 Days Later (2002)
The Others (2001)
The Babadook (2014)
Martyrs (2008)
Antichrist (2009)