FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social Distancing Film Club

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi All,

I hope everyone is staying safe and well during this hectic time. Since it looks like a fair number of us are due for some extended time inside, I thought I might poke around Netflix and see what was available that I might recommend. I think this would be a great place to talk about films, especially our favorites to watch when home sick or our go-to rewatchables. The ones below are all available on Australian Netflix as of the time of posting. I did my best to avoid anything too heavy/serious/related to sickness!

Action & Adventure:

Princess Mononoke (1997): Gorgeously animated environmentalist fairytale with great English-language voice acting
John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum (2019): incredibly stylish, hyper-violent third entry in the hitman series starring Keanu Reeves
The Matrix (1999): mind-bending story about a society run as a computer simulation
Jurassic Park (1993): Feel-good but thrilling classic about a theme park where dinosaurs are brought back to life
Baby Driver (2017): heist movie about a getaway driver with a great soundtrack

Kids & Family

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (1989): Excellent adventure about the search for the Holy Grail with Harrison Ford and Sean Connery
The Iron Giant (1999): Touching animated movie about a boy’s relationship with a robot
Shrek/Shrek 2 (2001/2004): Funny animated send-up of fairytales enjoyable for adults as well
Matilda (1996): Danny DeVito’s adaptation of the Roald Dahl story of a precocious girl and the unimpressive adults in her life
Hairspray (2007): campy adaptation of the John Waters original about an aspiring singer in 1960s Baltimore

97 Replies 97

What sort of TV do you like? If you can handle it (it's a bit of a wild ride), I just finished the docu-series on Netflix called Tiger King.

Hi gems,

I like quirky shows - parcs and rec, arrested development, and also the fargo serieses, and some hbo stuff like girls.

In that case I would recommend Peep Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm, two of my all-time favorites.

Bumping this again with a quick update on some recent watches:

Clouds of Sils Maria (2014)

War of the Worlds (2005)

Dangerous Liaisons (1988)

Total Recall (1990)

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Dolemite Is My Name (2019)

An Inspector Calls (2015)

Has anyone seen any of these? Would love to hear your thoughts as well as what you've all been watching 🙂

Hey Gems
I also recently watched clouds of Sils Maria (very interesting!)

and also "The Square" - both on SBS Demand. I liked both of them but didn't love. The Square was thought provoking, though.

That's a nice list there... which ones did you enjoy?

I recently watched a movie from about 1984 I think - Stranger Than Paradise, dir Jim Jarmusch. Loved it...

Also not sure if you've seen "Good Time" with Robert Pattinson? It is directed by the same team as "Uncut Gems" - it has the same wild energy. It's very engaging. Maybe a little more depressing, depending on your mood.

Hi Gems, got around to watching Logan Lucky - I loved it! Amazing cast!!!! I read the director said it was like Ocean's Eleven but intentionally not as slick - with characters who are poor, bumbling, and don't dress well. I really loved that element of it, the characters were so lovable.

Hi Sleepy,

I'm so glad you liked Logan Lucky! I think it's a real hidden gem; Soderbergh has so many of them. I actually saw Good Time recently (only got into the Safdies after UG) and really liked it a lot. I'll definitely watch whatever they come out with from now on.

The Square was very strange and intense, but above all, as you said, thought-provoking. I think Dolemite is My Name (Netflix original with Eddie Murphy about a blaxploitation icon) and Total Recall (Arnold action movie about mutants on Mars) were my two favorites on the list 🙂

Yes, loved Logan Lucky - would not have watched it without your rec - thanks!!
you've got great movie recs!! Would like to hear your next batch.
I can't believe I'd never heard of Logan Lucky, you're right, sorely underrated.

That's good to know about Dolemite is My Name, also. Lots of good stuff to check out

Please let me know if you can recommend any other Logan Lucky-esque movies.

Lazlo
Community Member
Even though the question was directed at uncut_gems, I've been trying to think of movies like Logan Lucky. I keep coming back to Burn After Reading. An under-rated Coen brothers film. Might be worth a look if you haven't seen it.