FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mixed Emotions - share how you're feeling about the last few years with us here

Sophie_M

Hi everyone,

We’re all going through a global pandemic on a scale no one has ever experienced before. And because this is all so new, it’s hard to find the right words to explain and talk about how we’re feeling – with many of us feeling emotions we’ve never felt before.
We've created a new set of words that give labels to these ‘Mixed Emotions’, so it’s easier to identify and talk about them – even if we don’t know exactly why we’re feeling them.

Mixed Emotions:
Are you feeling HappyFlat - when you’re excited for the day ahead, but just can’t be bothered anymore?
Or ChillPanic – when everything around you is calm, but inside you’re stressing out?
Or maybe you feel WorryHope - when you keep switching between looking forward to the future and being worried by it?
You might feel OpenShy ­- when lockdown is over, but you’ve forgotten how to talk to people.
Do you feel FineTired? Everythings alright, but you just want to nap all day.
Or maybe it’s BoredStress ­- when you can’t think of something to do and then get worried you’re not doing enough.

We’d love to hear if you connect with any of the above mixed emotions, or if you’d like to share your own mix of feelings. We’d also love for you to share what’s helped you through the pandemic. Is it self-care? Enjoying more time at home? Acknowledging how you’re feeling? Reaching out?

If you don’t know how to feel right now, you’re not alone. The Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service is available to everyone no matter what the situation – you don’t need to be in crisis or have a diagnosed condition to seek support - and no problem is too big or small. We’re available 24/7 at coronavirus.beyondblue.org.au, or on 1800 512 348.

17 Replies 17

Fantana
Community Member

I realise this is an old post and may not be seen. But I really related to a lot of posts here and the mixed-emotions campaign. Nothing feels like it used to and the future is so uncertain. I was lucky during the pandemic that I could stay healthy and I had support so it feels so selfish or unjustified to feel angry and upset (even though I know feelings are valid). I had my first day back at work today after a short break. I thought I'd feel happy and relaxed on holidays but I just felt numb and bored. So I thought a return to work and some routine would help - but I just feel stressed. But not stressed in a way where I can use it to motivate myself to do something about it. It feels more hopeless than that. I feel frustratd because last year I took a lot of control of my mental health - I got a diagnosis, medication and was feeling like I could really start my life. But instead of havin ga new lease i just feel stuck.

Thank you to everyone for reading and sharing your stories.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Fantana

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story.

I think the mixed emotions you experience many people can relate to.

Maybe it may take a few weeks to get back into a routine and not feel so stuck. I think everything changes so much even in past few weeks so that is unsettling.

If you want you could start your own thread.

You could ring the support line for corinavirus 1800 512 348

thank you, that's a great idea. 🙂

Hang in their Lesia68 and I hope things have started to even out for you. I can empathise.

MollyJane
Community Member
Chill panic - I didn’t know there was such a thing but it describes me perfectly. From time to time I feel like I’m being sucked into a plug hole from where there is no return. But on the outside no one would guess. It’s kinda terrifying and I have to practice mindfulness and deep breathing & focus on the present.

Cookie78
Community Member
Hi all
This is my first time on anything like this I am currently in isolation as I have covid I am only on day 2 and already struggling. I have my husband and 10 year old daughter with me my husband was unwell with covid but he is ok now and my 10 year old is showing no symptoms but I do worry she will become unwell, she has had 1 vaccine and hubby and I have had all 3.

I am a nurse in a very busy cancer ward and I am not one to sit still for very long even out of work. I very rarely get sick and this illness has knocked me for 6. So not only am I stuck at home I am feeling to crap to actually get up and do anything to strenuous. I feel guilty for not doing enough, I feel guilty that my work colleagues are struggling as they are short staffed, I feel guilty because my daughter is stuck home bored.

So chillpanic and and bored stress seem to fit me and my feelings right at this moment.

Any tips on how to overcome these

That Other Guy
Community Member

Any other autistic people for whom the pandemic has been mostly good. I have tons of empathy for people who struggled but for me personally, I work from home and I do great without having to negotiate social stuff with people I am not close to. We had a three day lockdown and I found out about it a year later!! I never leave the house anyhow. I've had a terrible time because of struggles in my marriage over the past year, but pandemic wise, it's been great. I changed jobs twice in the pandemic I think? But it has all been pretty smooth sailing for me, personally. It's not often that autism makes life easier....

Welcome cookie,

Sorry it has taken long to get a reply.

By now you will have recovered from covid. I hope you are in good health .

These are difficult times