FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Favourite Bands/Singers

scorch
Community Member

Hi guys,

I was inspired by Neil's thread about favourite movies.  I want to know - what are some of your favourite bands/musicians?

Do you have an album that you listen to over and over?  Is there a songwriter who you connect with, that seem like they draw their lyrics directly from your soul?  What is your favourite style of music?  Who did you grow up listening to?

Are you a musician yourself?

And importantly, I'm always looking to discover another band or genre so if you have any suggestions of a great song let me know so that I can look it up 🙂

As for me, I don't really like most of the stuff that gets played on the radio.  The lyrics seem meaningless to me, and the songs are mostly produced just to make money - not to connect with an audience or tell a story.  I prefer songs and artists that are sincere and genuine, that confront important and real life topics or are emotionally touching.  that doesn't mean I live for slow ballads... no, I listen to all kinds of music, fast paced - slow and rhythmic, rap, hip hop, jazz, folk, rock, alternative, metal.... I love it so long as it has some depth.

I'm currently hooked on a band called Twenty One Pilots.  I love em!  Also, I recently discovered a genre called Nerdcore which is rapping about nerdy stuff like computer games and everyday events etc... I love rap but I don't love a lot of the language or topics that are usually rapped about, so chilling out to some lighthearted Nerdcore works for me 🙂  

260 Replies 260

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

How did I miss this post!!

OK - bands:  Jon Bon Jovi (OMG what a hunk!!!) LOL

Queen, Abba, Pink, Lady Gaga (my daughter told me to write!!)

Bee Gees

Does anyone remember Bay City Rollers??

Jo

scorch
Community Member

Jo, my husband loves the Bee Gees! 

Neil_1
Community Member

Oh yes, BCR ... Bay City Rollers. 

And then of course there was LRB - Little River Band

and perhaps even CCR - Creedance Clearwater Revival

Oh dear, am showing my age a little.  And when Glen Shorrock left and John Farnham became lead singer of LRB for a little while.

ps:  my partner also enjoys the Bee Gee's.

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I went to Barry Gibb's concert last year - boy that was an emotional concert.  Seeing Barry there without his brothers, he was emotional as well.  

And then they put up a screen with all his brothers singers a song (can't remember which one) and Barry joined in - OMG it was an amazing beautiful concert.  One I will remember forever.

Let me think of some more!!

Jo 🙂

scorch
Community Member

I love when musicians get emotional and show it.  Makes everything more powerful.

I used to listen a lot to a band called Something Corporate.  Their song 'Konstantine' gives me chills every time I hear it.  

So beautiful.

guest75
Community Member

Neil I think you forgot BTO from your list 🙂

Im also a fan of the Bee Gees...i think i missed my calling for when i was born, i love 60s and 70s music....THe Beatles, Beach Boys, Queen, The Doors, The Who etc

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Matty

This might be a dumb question - but who is BTO??

I love Queen as well.   What about Michael Jackson, Ol'55, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper (girls just wanna have fun!!!) LOL

Jo 🙂

Neil_1
Community Member

BTO - "You ain't seen n n n n n nothin' yet"

Time for a little:  ELO

Oh and about that era, "Let's Walk Right In, Sit Right Down, Baby Let Your Hang Down" - Dr Hook

guest75
Community Member

Neil

Not that long ago, didnt you pick on me for having a dr hook song on my play list ... i believe you laughed at me for having when youre in love with a beautiful woman on my play list....Tsk Tsk... LOL

While we are doing acronym bands, is there room for UB40? Red Red Wiiiiiiiiiiiine

Hey guys

I'm late on the scene, but here goes:

Best song when I was just out of school (I'm 40) - 500 Miles by Proclaimers

Other songs I love - London Still by The Waifs; Joey by Concrete Blonde (voice gives me goose bumps); 

Favourite Albums:

Live - Throwing Copper; Nirvana - Nevermind;

Favourite Acts - Van Morrison; Powderfinger; Mumford & Sons, Foo Fighters

Best Live Acts - Green Day, Foo Fighters

Going to see Bruce Springstien this weekend - YAY!!!