FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,088 Replies 2,088

Moonstruck
Community Member

Hello Croix

A couple of years ago a book came out about how, where, why all the Beatles songs were written, thought up, discussed...very comprehensive, what and who they referred to etc...fascinating if you're a Beatles freak (I got it for my son for his birthday)

I could be wrong here, but I think Eleanor Rigby was either a name picked randomly , on the headstone of a lonely grave somewhere - or it was actually the name of a lady who, in the old days, used to do Church duties just as the song says . I wouldn't be surprised if Father McKenzie existed also.

more trivia? George Harrison's song "Something" (in the way she moves....) he wrote for his then wife, Patti Boyd. She went onto marry Eric Clapton. John Lennon's"Beautiful Boy" was written for his son with Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon......and Paul's Hey Jude, was for John's other son Julian,who was dealing with a broken romance and needed cheering up.

P.S. I am very familiar with Lady B's lines,of which there are many. That one you quoted always gets a laugh!!

Hey Croix......we can't all be stars! I once fell in love with the lighting man!

(read your comment on my thread) hoping things are getting better for you whatever the battle was/is. I myself am sick of struggling to smile and not immerse myself in a tub of sadness - but the hole left is SO DEEP and I cannot fill it! BUT..I digress...."and now I'll have a nice cup of tea and some of those cucumber sandwiches".

(No point in having a contest....I think I'd win....BUT....I could be mistaken)

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon et al.~

Why cucumber sandwiches? Why such reckless extravagance in one so young?

Well I presume young - must be to bowl 🙂 If you don't regard Ernest as farce can you give me a ferinstance that is?

With smiles I do believe they work in two directions. If one plasters on a smile the effects can work inwards - dunno why but seems to work a bit at least for me. Playing a sort of ping-pong match with quotes is cheering, though I had to push myself to start with.

I think you are doing a pretty good job of keeping out of that tub. It will get better.

BTW I'm glad you clarified your words relating to dropping things in Thread Killer - and no I'm not going to be gulled into saying more:)

I'm afraid there was no room for high jinks in the lighting booth where I was, just me, the script and umpteen levers - and I was a much less substantial walrus in those days too.

Croix

I totally understand your reluctance to watch 'Me Before You'. A little insensitive me thinks; apologies. 😕

How's things going on that front anyway? Hope all's reasonably well. Please give him my best (smile) 🙂

'The Intouchables' is funny, heart warming and different. Subtitles yes; glamorising disability yes, but it's a good bit of fun at times, so I'm forgiving of its unrealistic arena.

Take care;

Miles of smiles...

Sara xo

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Sara et al.~

Sorry about the delay, been away. No apologies please,I saw the shorts at the movies and checked it in spoilers before viewing as a matter of course. It looked quite entertaining and I would have seen it anyway apart from that ending.

I'll look out for a copy of Intouchables, sounds interesting.

The gentleman in question is fine, ta for asking. You need to update -probably klms of smiles now:)

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

Hi my old mate Croix....they were playing Blue Moon on car radio this morning and I thought of the movie Blue Jasmine with Cate Blanchett.. another Woody Allen film. You've probably seen it...she was great in it as a nervous wreck! reminded me of another Woody one I picked up solely to see what Vanessa Paradis was like....she's French, was Johnny Depp's first wife, mother of his kids. Its called American Gigolo....not really my type of film but wanted to see this Vanessa.

Turned out a quirky tale (like all Woodys) he is in it also...plus Liev Schreiber .Vanessa was lovely with husky voice and charming gap in her teeth......American Gigolo........(careful Woody your neuroses are showing) what else is new?

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon et al.~

Woody Allen is not one of my favorites, basically because I think he has a pessimistic view of life, people tend to be unlovely in his movies. I prefer mostly happy feel-good nowadays (I changed, used to appreciate real life).

American Gigolo is written up with a more hopeful ending, and it's not one I've seen, so I'll look out for it - I try for secondhand a lot. I've been a bit occupied and have not seen much in the way of movies recently except Wonder Woman, enjoyable fun.

I have been re-watching a Joss Whedon series caled Dollhouse, which has the premise character and memory are downloadable. Trendy, slick and interesting.

I don't think you mentioned what you thought was an example of a farce?

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

Ok Croix, you're probably right....OK Earnest can be a farce - I think of it more of a "classic" piece of satire for the times in which it was written and performed.....still setting theatres alight with joy today.

I think of something like Noises Off for farce...people in impossibly ridiculous situations, unbelievably hectic, mistaken identity, endless confusion and running in and out of doors and up stairs....frantic, exaggerated....but I am no expert.

Yes you are probably right again..Woody is pessimistic and all his characters are"un lovely". funny that, I've seen some of his characters that I rather warmed to....e.g. in Hannah and Her sisters...never mind. I am pessimistic and unlovely myself at the moment so he can put me in a film if he wants.....

You prefer "happy feel good"movies at the moment? I can't name one just now that has that effect on me. Don't identify with them at all. Which ones do you mean?

Croix you haven't sent me any feel-good movies yet!

What are some feel-good movies I could watch just now? You know how much I need to feel good just now....

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon~

Yes I course I should, here is a small mix - not sure what genre or decade you prefer

Big Fish
Last Orders
Lion
Reach for the Sky
To Sir with Love
True Grit
Where Eagles Dare

I'm watching the stage version of that farce you mentioned - though it does lose something on the tiny screen but better than the Michael Cain version I think.

Croix