FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,100 Replies 2,100

It's wonderful, it's wonderful, it's wonderful, good luck my babe!

Just beautiful Croix! Thankyou...Fred and Ginger weren't bad either...

Saraphin xo

Guest_322
Community Member

Hi Croix,

Yes, I survived your reference to the pianoforte ha, ha. It did make me smile so consider your joke a success.

Ah thanks for explaining Le vie en Rose- it seems as though it's a bittersweet song. I'm starting to get the impression that you're a romantic at heart (maybe). Or maybe the song resonates with you because aside from its beauty and Piaf's voice, it reminds you of your first wife.

I have never watched Mostly Martha but it does sound like a happy film. Also, I'm sure Sara would like the jazz numbers in it. Wow, you've certainly done your Wiki research ha, ha.

I agree with you that music can enhance a film. When film scores work well with scenes, it becomes a visual and auditory feast.

I googled Lake Wobegon at your mention (I hadn't previously heard of it) and apparently it's a fictional town for the Prairie Home Companion radio broadcast (?) Um...did I look up the right thing? It sounds like satire to me and that's one big tick in my books.

Nah, I wouldn't call you a bubblehead. Far from it but maybe a sensitive, romantic at heart is more fitting.

My film preferences? I like artsy films and interesting character development in films. The visual aspect of films is really important to me so I'm attentive to style, constuming, camera angles, colour, lighting, etc.

I have heard of Blade Runner but I've never seen it. I'm afraid that if philosophies are wrapped in action or sci-fi, I'm not really drawn to them. It's just that I don't really like action or sci-fi films (although will sometimes tag along if my friends want to see one). I don't mind wrapped-in-something but just not sci-fi or action for me ha, ha. Nothing wrong with either but it's just down to subjective preferences, you know.

Good talk. Thanks Croix.

Dottie xxx

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Dottie~
Yes; you've found me out -gasp- a closet romantic (though 1/2 deaf) as well as a serial monogamist, and no, no reminiscences - Mlle Piaf quite rightly stands on her own two musical feet.

You didn't comment on the reference to The Rocky Horror Show in Jingle Hells? While I much enjoyed the stage production I'd admit it's not to everyone's taste.

Does your Uni have a film section to its library (as every good uni should)?

Come to think of it you've told me the genres, but not what specific films you like, do you have a few you keep mentally returning to? - Also how about a musical down-payment on that G.S.Pass 🙂

Talking of music - which we weren't - do you realize the Beatles I am the Walrus was created as a result of my avatar's source and the lyrics are extremely appropriate - I though it amazingly amazing when I created the persona (now there's another hidden reference for you -ZBB?)

Now I'm going to show my antiquity - again, sorry these are musty with age but you did say character development:

I'd think immediately of 12 Angry Men, Henry Fonda, 1957. It describes the mental journey of 12 jurors from entering the jury-room to their exit with a very hard-won consensus.

From your point of view no action, but also no scenery or surround-sound music, but I find it riveting as each in turn exposes his self and grows (mentally kicking & screaming in most cases). Jack Lemon did a 'vanity' version in 1997 - not as good.

Coming a trifle (but only a trifle:) closer to your birth date - Jean Luc Goddard's La Chinoise, based on Dostoevsky's Possessed but set in 60's France. Less action here I guess - though some. 5 radical students bare their philosophies. Does not end well.

A Pairie Home Companion - Lake Wobegon: Yes you have found the right show. It is a very gentle, kind and subtle satire on small-town life where the forebears are Norwegian Lutherans. So subtly It's hard to tell it's not a serious account, I've been listening to it for a zillion years.

I'm looking forward to your input so I can go listen to the music you like and think about the films you have enjoyed.

Thank you Dottie

Croix

Good morning Croix; (and a call-out to Dottie too!)

I've been re-calibrating the brain and associated balance sheet the past few days. Although it's been heavy going, I've come out of it with a new sense of self. All good...

I hope your parlor thread is working as envisioned. I'm enjoying reading exchanges between you and Dottie. I hope you both don't mind as I'm a bit of a voyeur at times.

I'd like to join in with movie speak if that's ok. It's been an escape of mine since childhood, actually since my family purchased their first TV. I was 3. Falling asleep alone in front of it (about a metre away) was a nightly routine, then waking in my bed.

Mostly Martha was remade in the US with Cathryn Zeta-Jones and Arron Eckhart called 'Reservations'. The 'he' chef loved opera instead of jazz, but the 'she' chef was still driven and looking after her motherless niece. It was an ok movie, but lacked emotive content.

Looking forward to reading from you...

Sara xo

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Sara~

You're most welcome to join in, it's not just movies I guess, but anything to do with arts that's appealing to us. I'm busy nagging Dottie to tell me more about what she currently favors so I can go look/listen for my own enjoyment.

I'm not surprised the remake of Mostly Martha was pretty ordinary. The German version was light but so complimented by the music (at least for me). Via con Me was one of the numbers in it.

As for the re-calibration, you have my admiration. I guess both you and circumstances are on the same side now.

All my affection

Croix

Guest_322
Community Member

Hi Croix, Sara + all other readers,

Oh right, thanks for the reminder about The Rocky Horror Show. I'm a little confused about Jingle Hells (?) I tried looking it up but I only found The Rocky Horrow Show with no reference to Jingle Hells.

I have tried watching The Rocky Horror Show (movie) before but I didn't manage to finish it. I just couldn't get into it although I thought it was a brilliant concept and I loved the punk costuming!

My uni library has a pretty limited film section but a tonne of books and all students have online access to journal databases ha, ha. It doesn't bother me too much as I have Netflix and Stan for movies and TV series.

Let's see...some of my favourites include (and I obviously don't expect everyone to have the same taste as me):

- Amelie

- Nocturnal Animals

- Melancholia (visually breathtaking BUT I don't recommend it to you, Croix, as I know you don't do sadness)

- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (kind of bittersweet)

I looked up I am the Walrus and I rather enjoyed it! It has a nice beat and makes you, well, me, want to get up and dance.

12 Angry Men sounds intense. I have to admit that I'm more intrigued by La Chinoise than 12 Angry Men. You had me at "5 radical students bare their philosophies." I did some quick online research and it does seem very interesting!

You definitely enjoy your Lake Wobegon. There's genius in subtlety and credit to the production team for capturing that quality in it.

I don't speak a word of Japanese but I've been listening to Nademonaiya (Radwimps). It was a recent accidental discovery, and I still have no idea what the song is about and I honestly don't care.

I could look up the English translation for it (if available) but I haven't because sometimes I enjoy a bit of mystery 😉 Not knowing the meaning of the lyrics gives me more freedom to interpret it any way I wish. It's a fast moving song that is very whimsical and fantastical.

Anyways, if you have any music, film, art, whatever suggestions, feel free to share!

Sara, great to see you here! Yeah, feel free to chat away about movies, music, paintings, etc as Croix has encouraged.

Movies clearly have a special place in your heart. I guess maybe movies were/are like an alternate world and reality that would take you away from the here and now. Sometimes we need that...

Ah yes, remakes can rarely compete with originals!

Dottie xxx

Guest_322
Community Member

Hi Croix,

Congratulations once again on your new CC role!

Just as a heads up, I might be a little quiet on the forum this Sat/Sun as I have some weekend plans. So there might be a delay in some of my responses.

I hope you have a good day today. Take care.

Dottie xxx

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion
Dear Dottie, Sara et al.~
Jingle Hells was reminiscences about my last Christmas with my mother, final parting emotions concerning parents whose toxicity seared a chasm around them, unbridgeable to any, should they even want to.

Not watching it right though – good. I’d not have thought The Rocky Horror Show would translate easily into film, without usherettes & cigarette girls in the aisles, the interaction on the stage with multiple characters with different presences all at once, the brassiness of the music played loud – in other words the spectacle element would be missing, even on a big screen.

I already has a couple of your films. I really like Amélie for one. Funnily enough about someone who cares and tries to help. A quirky film with some delicious moments – Collignon’s slippers & mother’s phone number quick-dial. All that plus a happy ending, who could ask for more? The casting made the characters stand out as caricature & real at the same time.

The other in my library is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The genre of monkeying with minds and memories is a long one. A short story (not the book) Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keys is one I remember from over 50 years ago – just a tragic now as then. There have been umpteen others, We Can Remember It for You Wholesale by Philip K Dick has a happier ending and as you probably know is the basis for 3 Total Recall productions. Even the movie Blade Runner relies on these techniques heavily as a plot device.

I very much enjoyed Eternal.. and thought it very thought-provoking, with I imagine many who have terrible memories thinking they would jump at the chance to erase anguish (me included) . Well perhaps. It too has my favorite sort of ending. I did not think Jim Carrey had it in him – though he leaned towards that area in The Truman Show.

I’m following your advice on Melancholia, but am undecided on Nocturnal Animals – is it too painful? Nademonaiya is interesting with the unaccompanied vocal at the start gradually having the piano fall in and then a group later for emphasis in places. Funnily enough the sentence structure, even though in Japanese, seems to follow an English stanza format. Unlike you I did look up the lyrics and also watched the amine clip –the birds flying away at the end was a good image. I was not disappointed – a refreshing change from my normal diet.

I’m going to look at Micmacks next (same director as Amélie, Jean-Pierre Jeunet)

Affectionately

Croix

Morning Croix;

Re the above...I'm afraid I don't have the same element of critical analysis when watching movies, though reading does give me a chance to delve. (I don't do this too often these days either)

The most enjoyable and personally compelling book I've read was Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code'. Yes, it was criticized fervently, but was close to outselling the bible. (No not really, but it could've? lol) The main premise for me was the 'feminine principal' missing from modern western culture. Another was the role Mary Magdalene's (controversial) role was in the life of Jesus. The movie didn't address these points at all, focusing more on the plot.

Both issues struck a cord with my own life, especially when I found out the Vatican had done a back flip on Mary being a woman 'of means' instead of a prostitute. (1969) I actually screamed in anger and jumped off my bed when I read this.

Controversy aside, Brown did a good job with the plot and story telling; a real page turner. The hard back (nearly as big as the bible) is filled with coloured documentary style pictures/photo's which enhanced the questionable 'reality' factor. This paved the way for reassessing my value's and beliefs even more.

I tried reading another of his (hard back) novels; 'Angels and Demons'. I got thru a good portion of it determined to give it a go, however my interest was plagued by too many twists/turns to stick it out. A movie's been made about it too.

I hope I haven't (inappropriately) stepped on any ground connecting you and Dottie. I suppose it's my way of trying to join in. I hope you don't mind.

I don't normally write about this type of thing; I did enjoy it though.

Have a great day! 🙂

Sara xo

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Sara & Dottie~

I'm at work so I'm going to be brief

Sara~ I'm sure Dottie would agree that this is a place for pleasant relaxed chat about things that get us away from DEEP THOUGHT (tm) so by all means chip in. I get a lot of benefit as Dottie mentions music, movies, books that I haven't ever been in contact with or some at least not for a very long time - so I scurry away and enjoy.

Will talk later abut D Brown

Croix