FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Big Blue Table Forum Style

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I want to invite you all to lunch.

Some of you may know that Beyondblue recently launched a new fundraising event called the Big Blue Table, which runs during Mental Health Month (October). The idea is for people to invite guests to share a meal and start a conversation about mental health.

Some of us may want to participate, but be unable to due to a range of issues, such as poor health, financial pressure, homeless or social isolation. So, I thought we could honour the sentiment here but keep the conversation light in keeping with this thread.

So, how about you all bring a dish and if you want tell us why you chose it. And share the name of a famous person (living or deceased) and why, you’d like to invite them to our lunch.

I’m making a big tray of lasagna because it’s one of my mother’s most loved recipes. Everyone loved it so much that she was very cheeky and never shared it when asked! She did, however, give it to me when I got married.

And I’m inviting Olivia Newton John because I adored her talent, am grateful for her philanthropy and just miss her.

Your turn …

16 Replies 16

Willow Jude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Summer Rose, this is a great idea!

I’m would bring brownies, because I enjoy baking and always get compliments on my brownies.

I would invite Bill Hader, because he’s one of my favourite celebrities and has shared some great insights into his own struggles with mental illness. 

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

What a great idea summer rose. 

Summer rose, 

I would bring a fresh fruit platter with grapes, mango, strawberries, watermelon. 
there are so many people I would want to invite as I love reading biographies and memoirs. 
Only  chosing one person is hard . Sister Brigid Arthur is in her late 80s and has spent her whole life helping others. Now she is helping refugees . 

Hi Willow Jude

Thank you so much for coming to lunch.

Yum … I love brownies! And we’re on the same page with Bill Hader, too. 
I didn’t know about his mental health struggles though. I admire him speaking out, really helps to break down stigma. I love Howie Mandel for talking about OCD and doing what he can to raise awareness of this very misunderstood illness.

Kind thoughts you

Hi Quirkywords

Welcome to the big blue table!

Love that you’re inviting Sister Brigid Arthur. Imagine what an honour it would be to spend time with her. What we all could learn about selflessness and kindness.

Fruit platter sound amazing. It will make a wonderful desert!

Kind thoughts to you

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

LOVE this thread, thank you Summer Rose.

I'm bringing macarons, I memorised the recipe when I was 11 and they're always a joy to make/eat. I have gluten free/lactose free/vegan options for those with dietary requirements 🙂

I would love to invite Nathalie Kelley, who is an Australian actress. I love everything she stands for - she's an advocate for human rights first and foremost, and she shares the importance of living simply, connecting with your culture/land, and expressing gratitude. 

SB

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Summer Rose, well done for this thread.

I'd like to bring a 'cauliflower cheese', a favourite my dear Mum loved to cook which I often cooked for my family, and she's definitely a person I only wish I could bring alone with me.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Welcome to the big blue table, sbella02!

Kudos to you for memorising a recipe! At my age I can’t remember what I had for breakfast yesterday!

Macrons are a favourite at any event, thank you. And it’s so thoughtful of you think of people with dietary requirements!

Full disclosure: I had to Google Nathalie, turns out I knew her face not her name. Of course, that doesn’t matter—you are both honoured guests.

Kind thoughts to you 

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Geoff

I am so glad you and your mum are joining us! Cauliflower and cheese sounds awesome.

I think it’s so interesting how recipes are handed down through families. There’s just something so comforting and special about cooking something mum used to make. And you know it will turn out and be delicious!

When I make mum’s lasagna it’s like she’s in the kitchen with me and I can literally hear her telling me what to do and how to do it. She’s been gone over two years now, but food and cooking are a way to keep her close.

Kind thoughts to you 

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Awww LOVE THIS THREAD TOO Summer Rose! 
What a beautiful idea. 

I'm sure we can come to lunch every day and bring a different person each time? 
I can see our wonderful BB Members have many idols. 

I've brought a Thai salad with papaya to honour my birth place. 
AND my Nana whom I miss more than anything. Her infectious laughter! Her air of FUN, warmth, love. 
When I arrived in Australia and couldn't eat the Western food lol.... my Nana searched and searched for foods she could GROW in her garden to feed me! 
She grew Papaya and lemon grass, travelled to the city for decades to purchase bulk food at the Asian grocery stores... the LOVE when she prepared that food for me. The RELIEF to eat it!! hahaha... 

Geoff! I KNEW you'd bring your mum!! I can't wait to meet her. The GRATITUDE I have for your mum Geoff, raising such a brilliant man. Thanks mum! 

Will Google all the other wonderful people coming to lunch!

Love EMxxxx