FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Work related stress/anxiety

WeAllNeedHelp
Community Member

Hi all

I work in a hopsital and the particular ward I am on it quite heavy and fast paced. I am only about 2 months new to the job to which I have no previous experience working in other than placements when I was at Uni. So I've really been feeling the stress at work due to its intensity and the anxiety that follows - I am already starting to feel burnt out in the short time that I have been there. I want to want to be able to go to work and not dread every shift and worry about the stress or getting upset because I am so emotionally overwhelmed. I have been putting some strategies in place such as talking to a councellor, but unfortunally I feel like I am constantly needing to get my thoughts out of my head.

Please let the ideas and expeirences that have helped in the past everyone

1 Reply 1

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello WeAllNeedHelp, I want to start by saying that working in a hospital to provide care for others is a wonderful career choice to make. I can understand why you would feel such a weight of expectations on yourself in an environment like this where you are responsible for the welfare of others.

Have you ever listened to the safety announcement on planes, about fitting your own oxygen mask before helping others in case of an emergency? I think this is good advice for someone like yourself in a caring profession. By seeking counselling you've already taken one good step towards keeping on top of the pressure you're feeling, which I imagine must be something a lot of people in your role would feel.

What sort of freiendships have you developed with your peers at the hospital? The best people to understand what you're going through will be those you are working with. And many of these people may also be very isolated in their stress as well. The more you open up to and develop friendships with your colleagues, the more you will feel like a team. Don't be afraid to ask for help from those more experienced too, with only being the job for 2 months you won't be expected to know everything. Good luck.