FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Work Anxiety

JulieS101
Community Member

I am currently dealing with extreme anxiety due to a boss who has suddenly gone cold on me due to two weeks of limited availability in May as I am a student teacher. She is very inflexible and critiques me on every thing. I am looking for new work but I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cope while I am still working at this place.

2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear JulieS101~

Welcome back I hope life has been kind to you since you were here

As I have an anxiety condition many of the things I worry about are caused by the condition, not a realistic appraisal of the facts. In short I think the worst and stress about it

I find my partner are invaluable, as she is able to give me a balanced perspective, not something viewed though the lens of anxiety. It makes a world of difference, I have always found her spot-on

I believe you have an anxiety condition too, and if you are anything like me tend to think the worst, and keep in thinking about it. It may be your boss found it caused him staffing troubles by your limited availability, however you can only do what you can

I would hope in time you and your boss will reestablish a good working relationship, and in the meantime I wonder if things are as bad as they might seem, of if you are only seeing the possible problems. It may for instance be this coldness is nothing ot do wiht you , but due to other hassles in your bosses' life

Have you had a conversation wiht her abut this? Although your description is not of an approachable person it might be worth-while. What do you think?

One thing I try to do if I cannot change circumstances is try to change myself so I'm better able ot cope. I would imagine by now you may have got your own set of techniques

There is a thread here that does precisely this

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/self-help-tips-for-managing-anxiety/m-p/50482

It is a long thread but packed with things people have found useful, well worth scanning quickly though

Another thing I do is to have something I enjoy each day and have it in the evening. That little bit of self-reward is something I look forward to. It can be anything, books, movies, walking the dog, talking with someone who amuses me and more

May I ask what sort of things do you think you might look forward to and enjoy?

Support helps. Do you have anyone, family or friend, you can lean on?

You did have a psych some time ago. If you still do would it be worth mentioning this?

Would you like to talk some more

Croix

JulieS101
Community Member

Hi Croix, luckily my relationship with her is much better now. I do believe my anxiety does hinder the picture a little bit. Thank you for such a long and helpful response I really appreciate it.