FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Work anxiety

TallBoy
Community Member
Hi, I’m a 19 year old currently working a casual job that is absolutely wreaking havoc on my anxiety. Members of staff routinely talk behind my back in front of me, get that. They make it look like they’re trying to hide what they say but then say it loud enough for me to hear. They regularly discuss my pay, my eligibility for the job and because of this, I really dislike going to work there. I even think about it most days when I’m not working. I don’t desperately need the job because I live with my parents but I also don’t want to go back to the impossible task of trying to find another job. I am studying at uni but don’t really want to wait until then to get a job. What to do???!
1 Reply 1

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi TallBoy and a warm welcome to the forums.

Workplace bullying is exhausting! No wonder your anxiety has worsened. In your shoes I'd be stuck thinking and worrying on days off too and you don't need this unnecessary stress on top of your studies.

Have you considered before that what your colleagues are doing to you is bullying? It is and it's not acceptable.

What sort of supports are available at your workplace? Would you feel comfortable using any of them?

I'm familiar with being spoken about in front of. It feels revolting. What worked for me was confronting them immediately. Loud enough that others witnessed it. And making it clear that they were absolutely welcome to take any issues they had with me to management but that I'm at work to work not to be bullied.

I know it doesn't sound like that was tough for me but speaking up like that was terrifying. Both hands were shaking like mad and my face was beetroot red. But that sort of behaviour really does need to be addressed right away. I'm sure they knew I was upset, but they also knew I wouldn't accept being treated like that. Using the word bullied and the negative attention it drew made them very uncomfortable.

I have always felt anxious at work. But learning to speak up for myself has been incredibly important. You have the same right as any other employee to feel safe and be treated with basic courtesy. If people have an issue with you or your employment there are formal avenues they can persue. But what they're doing now is not ok.

Hope you feel able to update on how you are coping.

Nat