FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Trouble Keeping a job

Richy238
Community Member

Hi my name is Richard I'm 31.

I have had 6 jobs in the last 6 months I have struggled with my anxiety and depression.

I find it extremely hard to go work in the morning. Using all different excuses under the sun. I finally had the courage to tell my job I had yesterday the I'm having mental health problems and I'm going to the doctor to seek help and they called me yesterday arvo and said they have replaced me and good luck. It was only a full time casual position but I thought they maybe understanding.

I get very overwhelmed some days and feel like a failure. My wonderful partner has been nothing but very supportive and understanding. I often tell her to leave me so I'm not being an anchor for her.

I don't know how to overcome this I was enjoying my job and whilst having a job is a load off my shoulders. I know it will be extremely hard to fund another job.

4 Replies 4

Katherine22
Community Member

Hi Richy238, I understand you and what your going through as I’ve been in the same situation as you.

First I think you were extremely brave in telling your employer and I’m sorry that your boss chose to act like this and fire you. It’s actually against the law to fire someone like this as he is discriminating. Maybe you could call fair work for some advice?

Yes with anxiety and depression it is a daily struggle to go through the motions but always remember you aren’t choosing this and you don’t want this to happen, it’s not your fault. You have a good awareness of what is happening for you and you will be ok.

I think the best advice I can give from experience is to keep fighting and don’t give up. You can be down about it for a day but the next get up get dressed and try again. Especially when you aren’t working it’s too easy to stay depressed. I would suggest not staying in bed getting up at the same time like you were going to work and start your day. With getting up to go to work in the future fear will try and win but you need to get up and do it with the fear anyway. It’s extremely difficult to do but it will really help.

its great you have a supportive partner and please don’t feel like a burden I’m sure she loves you and wants to help you.please don’t let this define you, you are much more than your depression and anxiety

hope some of this helps xx

Hi Katherine

Thank you for your suggestions and kind words. I don't think its a fair work situation as I'm just casual. It was hard to tell them but I guess its better just to make an excuses rather than them thinking your not going to be stable for the job in the long run which is wrong.

Yes i will try your suggestion of getting up at usual early time and to keep fighting. I'm seeing a doctor today but i don't want to go the on medication it doesn't make me feel to well. Extremely built up about going but my partner is forcing me.

I hope you are getting through your situation nicely! thanks for your help

Jaysmit
Community Member

Hey there

i just want to say that I 10000% understand what ur feeling and I feel exactly the same way. I have quit quite a few jobs because of anxiety.

i find it extremely difficult to even fall asleep the nights before work. When I wake up I feel so so terrified and physically ill and ALL I can think about is calling in sick or just not showing up and not even mentioning why because it’s too ridiculous to explain to anyone. I have to force myself so so hard everyday to go. I have anxiety at work and many times iv pictured myself just walking out without saying a word. It’s almost impossible to even brush my teeth in the mornings. I feel disabled with anxiety and depression

Richy238
Community Member
Yeah i get that bad at times, but not as bad. Do you not like the line of work you are doing?