FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tingling in hands, legs etc ?

Xenacat
Community Member

Hi there

Does anyone else experience tingling in their limbs? Not during a panic attack as such but just going about everyday things eg sitting at my desk working, washing dishes, walking etc

I saw my GP but to be honest I felt dismissed - MRI and blood tests all clear

I have had anxiety on an off for many years and am on an SNRI. Thanks

17 Replies 17

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Xenacat,

I’m so sorry for the late reply. Please don’t think it’s a reflection on you at all because it’s not; it sometimes accidentally happens. Sorry about that...

The tingling sensations you’re experiencing sound very nerve racking. I feel it can really sting to feel so dismissed...it’s not a pleasant feeling at all.

I haven’t really personally experienced tingling sensations so I don’t know if I will be of much help...

But I was thinking maybe you might like to consider getting a second opinion from another GP if one is available. I wonder is that perhaps an option for you?

Kindness and warmth,

Pepper

Deliver
Community Member
Yes, and in my face and on my head, every day. I also have really bad dizziness on and off, which has been worse and constant for about 10 days and my tingling has become more noticeable with that.

Raku
Community Member
Woke up yesterday morning with a cold left arm. Tingles and numbness below elbow and into the hand.
Dr thinks it's cubital tunnel syndrome. Heart rate was also spiked all day. Then the numbness and tingles went to my face, scalp, both arms both legs and feet.

Hospital says it's anxiety.
I cannot help but think it's something worse.

Billyc
Community Member

Hi

yes this has happened to me.. i was dealing with severe anxiety at the time, I would wake up at 3 am and feel pins and needles on my two little Fingures on each hand.

and when at work my middle fingures would twitch.. I’d also get muscle spasms,

do you get twitches and spasms?

My GP said it was likely carpal tunnel syndrome,

I was not told of the connection it had to anxiety but that does make sense.

i also read an article online that suggests a link between inflamed tissue and anxiety/ depression.

And part of that article suggested they found that anti-inflam meds helped anxiety and depression,

i know I’m stretching the rules about mentioning this so please notebook this was an article I read, I’m no professional on the matter, just relating it to personal experience

Raku
Community Member
Hi Billy.

No I don't really get spasms/ twitches.

Just my hands and elbow and forearms are tingly then numb and my face, neck and scalp are too.

Then my legs and feet to numb and sort of get weakness in my hands and my right lower leg mainly.

Had this once before after my only c section (4th child) and they thought I had peripartum cardiomyopathy (heart failure due to pregnancy and birth) but a follow up echocardiogram later proved that was not the case. That was Sept 2018.

The last few months I had worried about my heart. And being a mum to 4 kids- the normal stresses of life....
I just woke up Thursday morning with a cold left arm then got the tingles and numbness and after I saw my GP that afternoon about it The tingles and numbness progressed everywhere else.

Heart rate spiked but my breathing is normal.

Nothing I can pinpoint as to why I feel anxious.
Like I said perhaps just the normal stuff got to me all of a sudden.

Presented to hospital today and ECG was great. Blood pressure was up 148/80 but they were not concerned.
They checked my reflexes and were positive it's anxiety related.

I just cannot help feel there is something worse. Like a neurological disease or something.

I have a ultrasound on 15th May for my elbow on left arm to check for nerve entrapment.

Went back to my GP after the hospital today and she has now put me on medication she said it is used for anxiety and nerve pain (I don't have pain- just loss of sensation as in numbness) but she said it should help with that too.

Should take a few weeks to kick in. 

Billyc
Community Member

I how you get to the bottom of it.. 4 kids.. did you have to upgrade to a 7 seater? What did you go with?

Let us know how it progresses with your health,

Best wishes

Raku
Community Member
Haha. Yes.
Mitsubishi Outlander

And thanks
Will do.

Amands
Community Member
Yes I had tingling down arms and legs , mouth twitches twitches all over. Hot cold patches, it sent me into a panic, thinking I had ms or another disease which lead me to not eat fir 3 weeks. My legs feel week but they actually aren’t. I’ve seen 2 GP’s physio, Osteo, it’s the somatic nervous system, I’ve been working in calming my nervous system .

Bookgirl
Community Member
When i have severe anxiety i get like a wave of cold tingling in my hands. I know now it's anxiety and it will go away and i know that means i am feeling totally overwhelmed. It does pass though.