FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

The War and Ukraine … Strategies that can help

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I have seen and heard so much that is going on with the war in Ukraine 🇺🇦

My heart goes out to each and every one in Ukraine.

Our minds can begin to spiral in a negative way which is sometimes fuelled by anxiety in regards to the war.

When our thoughts begin to spiral…we can:

Just allow the thoughts to be there and then allow them to float away when they come back still allow them to be there and float away….. try not to give them your attention.

What we give attention to we give power to.

When we have the thoughts we can put our attention on something positive in the present moment and not what’s going inside our minds.

Focus on your breath, use your breath as an anchor this will help ground you.

If we want to do something positive for Ukraine we can pray for them and direct our positive energy towards Ukraine in their time of need to help lift them.

I believe that Ukraine are strong and very resilient people who would do anything to protect their country.

Hold high hopes for Ukraine we are with you .💪❤️

59 Replies 59

thanks Petal22

has been a rough day for me in fact - had to contact lifeline

hope to find some peace soon hey

take care and see you around

Sorry to hear it’s been a rough day for you….

Things will get better.

We are always here to support you.

Hey Petal22 and everyone

I know we have to 'say the right thing' yet just for myself I cant generalize the war in Ukraine with historical references from others like ' Alas what is happening in Ukraine has been happening for centuries and in the last 59 years' I have no idea what that means as people in Ukraine are suffering now Wednesday April 2022

* Volodymyr Zelenskyy is a loving, compassionate and kind person

Thankyou Petal for this brilliant humanitarian/relevant thread discussion

my kindest always

Paul

Hi Paul.

If it's OK for me to throw my two cents in, I think what Quirky might mean is that awful stuff has never stopped happening and that the world's not really all of a sudden gone back several decades.

Far from diminishing the terrible reality of what is happening in Ukraine at the moment, I think this insight is important for grounding. While Europe had been at relative peace since WWII, much of the world has not. And even this European peace has been punctuated multiple times, sometimes quite brutally. The Soviets invaded Hungary in the 1950s. Northern Ireland and the greater British Isles were embroiled in a low intensity but still nasty conflict between Irish Republicans and Ulster Loyalists for decades. Much of what happened in the Yugoslav, Nagorno-Karabakh and Chechan wars is eerily and heartbreakingly similar to the current conflict.

It is certainly shocking and horrifying what has suddenly befallen Ukraine. I've personally felt like vomiting multiple times. But I think being aware of post WWII history means that we can regard it as less of a plunge back into a dark age but as a very modern catastrophe, one of many, and one that can be addressed through modern means, many of which didn't exist in the 40s.

if you have relatives/friends in Ukraine or are of a Ukrainian background, that adds a different dimension to it and certainly in that circumstance I would expect concern for Ukraine would be much more acute than for anything else. What I have written would probably apply less in that case.

These are just my thoughts on it. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood anyone at all.

All my best wishes to the people of Ukraine and for peace.

Thanks Paul, I agree with all of your words for President Zelenskyy.

The war that Russia has put on Ukraine is very senseless and shameful to Russia.

All Ukraine wanted to do was to live their life their way and that’s the truth…. They caused no harm to anyone and were at peace before Russia invaded.

” Power is in the truth” and the truth is not on Russias side.

Keep up your heroic struggle Ukraine…

The law of nature will have the last say.

Doberman38
Community Member

Something which I am still finding difficult is despite mostly avoiding the news while updating myself periodically, I'm quite sensitive to unplanned exposure to the situation. This mainly comes through my dad, either when having the radio on or, more commonly, the tv, even when I'm in another room. It's meant I've been staying in my room most of the time so that I don't hear anything, but I know this isn't healthy. Whenever I close the door to the lounge room (which he is usually in) to the living room (which I, my mum and sister like to spend a lot of time in), he complains about it for some reason. I know I need to strike some kind of balance with this, but I'm not sure how. 😕

Hi Doberman38,

I understand this would be difficult.

Have you ever practiced mundane task focusing or attention training?

By practicing attention training you really can begin to control your attention…….. our attention is like a muscle and it needs exercise.

Once you can gain control of your attention you can place it on what you choose.

If you do hear something unsettling to you …… turn your attention to something more positive in the present moment.

It takes practice

Hi Petal22... Doberman38

Thanks Doberman38 for sense of balance on Petal's thread. I was only providing my own opinion as you are doing now....Just for myself history is not relevant here as I was posting in real time on April 13

We cant 'gloss' over this war and generalize its impact....example from another member above...'we need to speak up against any atrocities wherever they are occurring and not just where there is media attention' Just for myself I find this downplays the suffering in Ukraine

On a positive note Doberman38...I hear your loud and clear regarding the news on Ukraine..It can be awful to hear. I also find it unsettling...You are strong and thankyou for speaking from the heart too 🙂 I really hope you can continue to be a part of the Beyond Blue family

Hi Petal....Im sorry to hijack your thread...oops..

Happy Easter everyone 🐇🐇🐇

Paul x

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your valued contribution to this thread 😊

Happy Easter 🐣

Paul

thanks for your feedback and honest comments.

Not for one nano second am I underestimating the suffering of people in Ukraine . I have ancestors from there and my heart bleeds for them.

I wrote “What is happening in Ukraine is so horrible and it is encouraging many are speaking up.”

Just because one mentions another countries suffering it by no means lessens the suffering and compassion for another country.

I am sorry you misunderstood the intention of my words, I apologise if you were offended or felt I was offending others

Never my intention.

Thanks for all your contributions to Beyond Blue.