FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social anxiety

Fallen_Angel
Community Member
I feel like my social anxiety is so bad I can't even attend appointments. Like I don't have the balls to ask my boss for the time off. Also my GP left which means I have to see a different GP. I've been on medication for mh for 15 years (I'm 32 started meds at 17) and feel like nothing works - I don't want the GP to think I'm being difficult.

Most of my social anxiety is about going to work. I work in an aps6 job that involves dealing with the public, and I wake up dreaming about work and having panic attacks, feel nauseas whenever I go into the office, avoid public interaction whenever possible (which effect's my work) but I can't seem to find another job that doesn't involve public interaction. - only got this one because I was a graduate and didn't have the guts to say no.

I'm at the point where I've started drinking everyday, and occasionally using illicit drugs (bought off the internet) because I feel like there's no way out. I know this is a slippery slope and really want help.

Sorry for the long post.
2 Replies 2

Community Member

Hi Fallen Angel,

Firstly please don't apologise for the long post! This is a space where you can express what you are feeling for as long as you would like!

I am so sorry for the struggles you are going through. I think it would be great if you could try and schedule a teleconference with your doctor to receive support. That way you do not need to physically attend an appointment, and you can often make these outside of work hours. Your GP will definitely not think you are being difficult, they are there to help you. If you aren't particularly fond of your new GP it might be worth 'shopping' around for a new one. I know it can be a pain, but it is worth having someone you are comfortable with. You can search for a new one at healthdirect.gov.au

It might also be helpful to link up with a psychologist to talk about your social anxiety. Whilst scary attending your first appointment, it will give you a chance to come up with strategies to help deal with your job.

Hope this is helpful.

David35
Community Member
It sounds like you're not comfortable with your job, if it's making you that anxious. I remember having a job many years ago which I felt trapped in (for reasons I won't go into here). As a result I started drinking to mask those feelings. It's better to address the underlying reason. Some people are comfortable working with people (receptionists, teachers, emergency workers, salespeople, doctors, etc.), whereas some people are more comfortable with "things" (tradies, engineers, scientists, IT , mathematicians, etc.). Just from the few comments you made, it sounds like you may fall into the 2nd category. There's no such thing as job A is better than job B; it's what suits you best.