FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social anxiety at events

New_star
Community Member

Hey all,

The other day i went to a social bowls evening. I found i was feeling very anxious when we sat down as a group to dinner. There was alot of tension in my arms and body. Alot of negative thoughts going around my head where i thought people were judging me. I was very quiet. Then when people would ask me a question to help me get involved i think the anxiety on my face would show as people looked at me a little concerned.

I think it just takes time and practice. Repeatedly going to these things. Practicing positive self-talk. Thinking ahead about topics i could discuss.

2 Replies 2

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear New_star,

You are so right in saying we must practice positive thinking when the negative thoughts start trying to control our lives….One example is when you had that much anxiety that the people around you could see it…..they asked you questions to get you involved, because I think they could see your anxiety and they cared enough about you to try to help you….I think that is so nice of those people you were with….when we have anxiety those anxious thoughts tell us all different things, especially about people judging us…which they most often are not…it’s all in our mind…

I avoid groups with strangers in them…because of my anxiety, like you I am really quiet when I go out…even with my work colleagues, but I do go to the meetings even the upcoming Christmas Party is giving me anxiety, I’ll be seeking out someone I feel comfortable with and sit with them, probably for the duration of the party…..

You done so well in attending the social bowling event, you went, you stayed and the people their were nice to you….keep practicing those positive thoughts and I’m sure you will enjoy yourself more and more, especially when you get to know the other people who also go to the social bowls events….Well done to you…Will you be going again or was it a one off event?..

My kind thoughts with my care..

Grandy..

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi New_star

Heightened sensitivity and social events can definitely be a challenging combo. Heightened sensitivity isn't a bad thing, as having the ability to sense so much is an ability. I think it comes down to managing what we're able to sense. Btw, heightened sensitivity is one of the key tools for intuitive people, with them relying on what they can sense.

When you can sense/feel what your own nervous system is doing, when you can sense/feel other people judging what kind of person they think you are, when you can sense/feel a lack of inspiring conversation you can fully relate to and more, it's definitely challenging. You do sound intuitive, given your feeling that more practice is needed when it comes to mastering social situations.

Personally, I'm a gal who's a bit of an introvert. Due to a developing sense of wonder in relation to why I am, over time I've come to better understand how I tick and some of the revelations have been rather fascinating. For example, I can feel sound. A bit of sound or noise and I'm okay, no big deal but if you put me in a social situation such as in a room full of dozens of people all talking at once, music ramped up (with everyone trying to yell over it) and you throw in an environment where there is little carpeting and furnishings to absorb all that sound and, bamm, I can feel the whole experience. Alcohol becomes a factor too, as the more people drink the louder they get. Over-stimulation through sound. Being condensed into one small area, like with eating around a table, is something else I feel. I'm someone who naturally likes my space, so I recognise this as a challenge.

If it helps, I've found getting a better sense of who I naturally am becomes a self esteem booster. You could say, for example, if you are someone who naturally responds well to fascinating conversation you could then say the reason you don't feel engaged in conversation is based on it simply not fascinating you. As simple as that. You'll feel what fascinates you. It's one way to get a feel for people and social situations. Are they your kind of people and situations or not? Will you return with the next invite or not or will you keep looking for what feels right?