FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Recovering from anxiety relapse

Romy
Community Member

A month ago I had a huge flare up of my GAD. I have many things coming up this year that suddenly overwhelmed me and it made my anxiety/depression worse than it has ever been before. I’ve been seeing my psychologist fortnightly and increased my medication a month ago. I’m definitely having better days where I can see hope, last week I had 5 days in a row where I felt back to my usual self and I thought “great! Everything is back to normal!” But then I had a day with slight anxiety and it spiraled out of control again. So I’m finding now I’m having good days and then really really low days where I just cry and cry and feel like I’ll never get better. I guess my question is, is it normal when recovering from such a severe relapse to have good days and then have really bad days again? Has anyone else been through this? My psychologist has said that recovery is not linear, it has many ups and downs but it’s hard to see the light when you’re in the downs. 

4 Replies 4

JED1980
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Romy

Your Psychologist is right. Recovery is not linear. There will be good days, and there will be bad days.

You just have to keep trying. Do the things you know work for you to help with the days that are not so great.

My journey is different from yours, but i do understand. I still have days where my anxiety is completely out of control. But i stop. Tell myself i've got this, and try and shove the anxiety back in its box.  It may not always go in all at once and it may require a larger box, but i do get there.

You've got this. Its literally one day at a time.

Bad days will happen, but if you can move on and forward from those, then that is all you can ask for.

Here if you want to chat more, take care.

Jx

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Romy

Thankyou for being a part of the Beyond Blue family!

I understand and feel your pain with GAD. Its like having ''invisible crutches'' sometimes. You are very proactive where treatment/healing is concerned Romy and good on you.

To answer your question...Yes I have been through the same roller coaster ride of anxiety disorder and its a awful vile place to be in. I started taking a small dose of SSRI's back in 1997 and combined with ongoing visits to my GP/counsellor it works well

Can I ask if your anxiety has a negative effect on your ability function on a day to day basis? 

you are not alone Romy. Thankyou again for having the courage to speak about anxiety (GAD)

any questions are always welcome! 

my kind thoughts always

Paul

Romy
Community Member

Thank you Jed x

Romy
Community Member

Hi Paul, 

Yes, when my anxiety gets really really bad I struggle to function. I struggle to eat so I’ve lost a decent amount of weight in the last month. Then from not eating I have no energy making me feel more anxious. This is getting better now as I’m eating again but as I have just been through the worst breakdown I’ve ever had, I am quite easily triggered leading to bad days. I do seem to get better faster though.