FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Paperwork

Hope-Less
Community Member

Today I thought I would organise my tax.

What a challenge that is for me!

Flashbacks to legality involved in my last divorce hit me hard. Coming across AVOs and solicitor letters amongst the paperwork, made my chest tighten and hands shake.

The overwhelming freeze where I couldn’t move or think, I went outside to breathe then lit a cigarette. Looked across the fence at my neighbour hanging out the washing, broke feelings of shame, because they witnessed the police here at my home. My mind racing they know what’s gone on here.

I lowered my head and walked up the stairs, so wouldn’t be seen.

I looked at the dining table covered in paperwork and ran to my bedroom. Laid down and took some medication to reduce the symptoms as I know it will pass. Looked at my phone and thought there is no one I can talk to to explain how I feel.

To others it is the past, to me it is reliving and resurfacing trauma.

I want to be able to tackle these normal things in life which need to be completed. But don’t know how.

Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

That Other Guy
Community Member

Healing just takes time.  I am still married but last year was terrible, and sometimes when I talk to my wife I have panic attacks and can't breathe.  Other times I feel overwhelming despair.  I don't think there's any solution but just time.  I do see a counsellor, are you talking to anyone?

My psychologist retired end of last year and it took so long to find her. I don’t have it in me to start again.

Sophie_M
Hi Hope-less

We are really sorry to hear that you are having these feelings and sensations at the moment. We can only imagine that going back through those memories might bring to surface some trauma. Thank you for sharing here today, you never know when someone might read your post and feel less alone on their own journey. 

If you ever feel distressed and want to talk to someone, we are always here for you on 1300 33 4636 or on our webchat. It can be difficult in the moment to know what to do and we are here if you want some help. 

Thank you again for sharing and please know that we are here for you. If you do feel like updating us we would love to hear from you.

Kind regards, 
Sophie M

😞  I just googled counsellors and made an appt, I even found one that's not too expensive....