FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New job is good, but I'm struggling with the industry

Davey93
Community Member

Sorry if this has already been covered but I haven't found it.

My last job was pretty bad, I was left on my own a lot and didn't have much support from the company, which usually meant going to work sick, with work related injuries or doing two/three peoples jobs on my own... Which I basically had to suck it up to keep the clients happy.

After the pandemic I joined a new company, and they're great.

Understanding bosses, people who care and look out for eachother, always trying to do whats best for everyone.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be enough and staying in the industry is still affecting me, which now has started affecting work performance. (I couldn't bring myself to go in Monday)

I like some work tasks I do, I like the people I work with but staying in this industry is having a negative impact on me.

I want to resign but is it smart? How do I say that my mental health is becoming hard to ignore and I like the company but need to get out of the industry?

4 Replies 4

That Other Guy
Community Member

Is it the industry or are you just at work all day and need some more general support? It sounds to me like a place where you could talk to them about how you are feeling? I would explore things with a counsellor before taking any drastic steps, they might even help you suggest some ways your work can support you so you can stay productive there?

Beaser
Community Member

Hi and best wishes Davey.  Im in a similar position . I was really struggling with  my job. I decided to resign and finish today.  Im very scared about the future and whether ive done the right thing . I know that my job was stealing my joy of life and i couldnt go on this way.  I dont want to tell you what is best for yourself . I just want you to know that your not alone and me and others are here to listen if you need it.    Brett. 

Davey93
Community Member

I hope your decision helps you.

As someone still in the job it is hard for me to know, but I can only imagine doing something to break the negative cycle would be a great feeling.

Even if you are still scared for the future, hopefully you can take this moment you actively did something difficult for yourself as a win and feel proud.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Davey93

I can certainly understand why you like your current employer and really empathise with the fact that your mental health is unfortunately being impacted by the industry you're working in.  

Maybe it would help to ask yourself a couple of different questions.  Is it smart to ignore declining mental health?  Where does that lead?

If I were in your shoes, I would put health first, look for another job and once I'd found it I would resign by simply saying that I need a new challenge.  Don't think I'd say too much about the industry, just in case I ever wanted to return to it.  This is just my opinion and food for thought.

Kind thoughts to you