FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

No right to be anxious

Jane_Melb
Community Member

Hi, I'm new to this but have been feeling a bit out of the driver's seat and wanted to reach out. I've read the other posts here and have had similar experiences. 

I am in my 30s and have always been very proactive and happy. This past year I have found myself constantly feeling like a failure, ruminating on mistakes, self-sabotaging through avoiding things I should be more engaged with and generally slipping into very negative self talk. 

I am at uni and get good grades and get a lot of positive comments at work but I just feel like I am a shadow of my former self and making increasingly bigger and unjustifiable mistakes. Last month in the middle of a video call I had to lie on the ground and deep breath while bursting into tears - I have never felt overwhelmed like this before, and although I have taken on a lot of work, it's no more than I usually balance. I have been putting it down to burn out and the general post-covid crazy that seems to be going around, but I just keep waiting to wake up refreshed and have it all stop and it hasn't after a year. 
I feel ridiculous seeking help because I have work, a flat, food etc. and really haven't lost anything through Covid like others have. 

Is this anxiety?

5 Replies 5

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Jane, 

It sounds as though you have been dealing with some pretty overwhelming emotions as of late, I’m sorry to hear this! 

I just wanted to start of by saying that just because your circumstances might not be as bad as others, doesn’t make your feelings or need to seek help any less valid. Mental health struggles are a lot to deal with at times, especially when it is a relatively new experience for you.

It sounds as though these struggles have gotten worse and pervasive in many different areas of life. Whilst I’m not a mental health professional, I would definitely recommend seeing your GP to discuss these things. I was experiencing similar symptoms and was given a mental health care plan from my GP to visit a psychologist and get some help dealing with it all. It was the best thing I could’ve done for myself as I learnt new ways to cope, discovered and broke my unhelpful and negative thinking patterns that were so ingrained that I hadn’t even realised how much of an impact they had. I like to think that mental health is so important and should be treated and cared for just like you would a physical injury. 

It’s so easy to be hard on ourselves, especially when we are going through it so I urge you to continue reaching out for support from this wonderful community and perhaps your own social community, whether it be family, friends, colleagues and everyone/everything in between! It’s okay to need to take a break and to get help. It’s okay to spend time caring for yourself. I wish you all the best and send warm wishes your way x 

Safes
Community Member

Anxiety can absolutely happen to anyone, especially in this extremely stressful covid times. Definitely ask your GP for help, they can be super helpful. I have anxiety, even though I have a pretty good life so yeah it can happen to anyone. Definitely ask people for help if you can!

That Other Guy
Community Member

Whatever it is, you obviously need and deserve some support.  I suggest finding a counsellor to help you explore what's going on in your life, and what you need

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jane Melb,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Please seek the help you need, mental health conditions can affect anyone.

You are deserving of help.

You can make an appointment with your gp and discuss the way you are feeling.

You can recover from this with the correct help.

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jane_Melb

Sometimes when we are super focused on our goals and commitments, and think everything is ''as it should be'' we can miss a few warning signs that the body and mind are under the pump and struggling.

I does sound like you've hit a wall of some type where your stress levels are peaking. It's an awful feeling and I empathise greatly with you, as I've been there many times myself.

In the short-term, I highly recommend adding a bit of mindfulness or deep breathing exercises into your daily routine to try and regulate your stress a little bit. You can find great guided tracks on Youtube, try looking up something like 'guided body scan' or 'progressive muscle relaxation'.

Alternatively, just find a quite space in the house for 5-10 minutes and set a timer on your phone. Focus on taking slow, controlled deep breathes during this time. If thoughts come up, try to gently put them aside and stay focused on the breath. 

With a daily practice this can really help to regulate the nervous system and reduce symptoms of anxiety.