FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Nervous spasms?

RoPo_27
Community Member

Hi, was wondering if anyone could relate to the sensation what are almost like spasms - akin to hypnic jerks. It is like my anxiety is centralised in my shoulders, back and neck - I will react to this sensation as though I am hearing nails on a chalk board, tilting my head to one side because it is difficult to deal with the sheer amount of copious energy.

Another thing is when I am alone and in the dark I feel the need (such that it is half-voluntary, half-involuntary) to twitch (convulse, spasm, whatever) almost like I am jumping at a bad thought. I get this engulfing urge when around other people but can sort of subdue it enough so that I do so called "mini-twitches" or coil up.

Sometimes when these kind of things get really bad I have to lie down and just let it happen - and feel the urge to wave my arms and head around in a flailing motion.

Sounds a bit odd in the written word, but can anyone relate?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi RoPo,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry no one has replied to you yet. Unfortunately I haven't really experienced these symptoms in relation to anxiety.

However I do understand a little how frustrating twitches can be, although not to your extent. When I was pregnant I had restless leg syndrome, which occurred when I laid down at night time. I would feel a compulsion to twitch or move my legs

It is strange how anxiety can manifest itself into physical symptoms.

Have you had these sensations checked by a doctor? My grandmother suffered from pins and needles in her hands and feet for years because her GP believed they were symptoms of anxiety. When in actual fact she had a badly compressed nerve in her spine. Luckily she is almost pain free now after surgery.

Kind thoughts, Jess

disgrace
Community Member

Hi RoPo

I have been experiencing similar. I have diagnosed ptsd and about 2 years ago started getting head and neck spasms. It is now out of control and I hate being out in public. I won’t.

I really hope you can get help.

Regards Gracey

RoPo_27
Community Member

Thanks Jess,

No I have not had these symptoms checked by a doctor as of yet - we are ruling out other possible causes of my general fatigue first.

And damn that must of been a pain - restless legs syndrome I mean. My mum frequently mentions the discomfort of the condition from twenty years ago when she was perhaps eighteen. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't one of the causes a deficiency in something or other? I cannot quite recall.

Glad to hear your mother is better.

Kind regards

Rosie

RoPo_27
Community Member

Hey Gracey

So sorry to hear it's that bad. I was never officially diagnosed with PTSD but I had quite a few doctors say that that was most likely, so it is quite interesting (morbidly so, at any rate) that we should both have similar sorts of spasms and the same condition, whether diagnosed or undiagnosed.

These days it has gotten significantly better with medication coupled with coping techniques. Do you do any exercise, Gracey? That helps considerably.

Also, is it worst at night?

Thanks for your reply.

Kind regards

Rosie