FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My anxiety

shannon_02
Community Member

Hi, so this is my first time in one of these chat forum things so I'm still getting use to it 😂

Anyway, everyone has insecurities, I'm not trying to get attention and say 'I'm the only one' its human to feel insecure. But I don't know if I'll ever accept and love myself, I haven't physically harmed myself but mentally, if you were to ask me to describe myself all I would say is negatives, I hate the way I look, act, thing, everything. Its worse in public, which is where our little friend called anxiety kicks in. Whenever I'm shopping and looking at makeup or clothes and I see a group of really skinny attractive girls I feel like I'm not worthy to be around them, to look at them, so I always leave or run off to a different section of the store, whenever I hear a group of random people laughing at something I always think they're laughing at me because "oh she looks fat" "she's ugly" 'wtf is wrong with her?" And I start having an anxiety attack, my breathing hitches, I get dizzy, I can't focus, I wrap my arms around myself so I may seem smaller. This happens at school too. When I'm with friends I feel insecure, they're all so so gorgeous and it sucks because I'm the fat, ugly, worthless friend.

Lets move on to a different anxiety topic for me, I will always be 2nd place, my older sister is so smart, she has a scholarship and amazing grades, everyone compares her and I. I feel like I have to be smart like her and get a scholarship or I'll be a failure in my families eyes. When I said I didn't want the same scholarship as what she received (hers was for law and I don't want to work in law so what's the point??) Not only my sister but other family members seemed to be upset. I don't get perfect grades and I doubt myself in every subject which makes me believe, why try and be better you're just stupid anyways? My sister is my grandmothers favourite, its been like that for years, no I'm not rude to her, its just something she does, she has a favourite kid and everyone but her can notice it, I get treated like I'm not water, ignored, treated like an idiot by my sister and grandmother and I just will never be good enough!

Idk what to do, I'm near breaking point, I will always be the fat, stupid worthless person

Why can't I ever be number one for once? Just once! To make my family actually proud of me.

Sorry if this was long, I just needed to rant.

2 Replies 2

stormcloudz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Shannon and welcome.

Good on you for being brave and posting. I'm glad you've been able to get some stuff off your chest.

It's horrible feeling like you aren't good enough, I understand that, and a lot of others on this forum will too. Don't worry, you will find your place in life - school can be a really tricky time and things get better. In the meantime, we are here to listen and understand, and help in any way we can.

If it would help to talk to someone in person, have a look on the web for Headspace. They have centres in various locations where people aged 12 to 25 can get support on a whole range of issues, including the type of family worries and insecurities you are talking about. It might be good to have someone to chat to who is on your side, where you know you can say whatever you like and its all confidential.

Please keep posting and tell me how you are doing. I know you aren't interested in law, what sort of things do you like doing for hobbies or studies? Do you have ambitions after school or are you at that stage where you aren't sure yet?

It's perfectly OK to be your own person and be different from your sister. It would be a bit pointless if we were all lawyers! : )

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Shannon_02

stormcloudz (above) has provided excellent support and by mentioning 'Headspace' as a way to have a face to face with non judgemental people that care for the wonderful person you are Shannon

I think you are amazing. I understand when you mentioned 'not feeling good enough' as I have felt the same too and it hurts...a lot

You are not a carbon copy of anyone....being an individual makes comparison a waste of your great qualities

Just an example if I may....I have a relative that refuses to write a thread topic here with a (serious)problem as they arent as proactive as you are. Thats my relative's problem.

You are doing really well and I hope you can continue to post with us!

My kind thoughts

Paul