FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Job hunting stress and anxiety

Megz28
Community Member
Hey everyone this is my first ever post. I have suffered from anxiety off and on since I was in my 20’s. My current bout of anxiety is debilitating. I especially suffer in the morning just to get out of bed is so difficult . Recently I have resigned from my job of 17 years. I resigned because there was a management change and I was being pushed out for the preference of younger people. I experienced so much anxiety leading up to my decision to leave. I had a new job lined up 2 weeks after I left my old one. I started Monday and knew immediately that it was not the right fit for me. I resigned the next day. That experience has meant my anxiety has gone now to an unmanageable level. I feel so daunted about job hunting after 17 years in one job. Also the guilt of finances on the family. Just feeling helpless now and finding it very difficult to face the day. Everyone tells me just find a new job - but getting my cv and applying just seems so hard at the moment.Would appreciate anyone’s advise or similar experience.
2 Replies 2

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Megz and welcome to our community forums

Yep, anxiety can be debilitating. Though the good news is, it is manageable. It takes hard work, time and committment. Unfortunately I can't give you an easy answer to your situation.

Working in the same role for 17 years, starting a new job and resigning the next day - are all significant changes for anyone. If it were me, I'd start by being gentler on myself. That of course is easier said than done when you have a family relying on you.

From your post I see the catalyst for change was the change in management in your role of 17 years and the push was for younger people. To me it sounds like your self esteem and self worth need a little uplifting to help you get motivated to find new work? Does this sound about right?

Now comes the hard task of finding the role that suits you. That is never easy believe me. It is really good though you've worked for as long as you have. It means you have experience! That you're not useless Megz. Turn around the story in your head that you've been telling yourself. My thoughts are once you've done that, you'll be raring to go.

Just as an aside, what sort of work do you do? You don't have to say if you don't want to.

Keep reaching out, if and when you want to. You are not alone.

Kind regards

PamelaR

Megz28
Community Member

Hi PamelaR. Thanks for your support. I work in administrative/accounts - that is my background.

I have now put my cv together and sent it through to a couple of employment agengies and have an initial interview in an hour.

Over the past week still feeling anxious about the changes in my life. Hoping that it will lead to happiness and finding a great work environment.