FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I feel so alone!!!!

dannoh89
Community Member

Hi guys, I am new to this and I am anxious even about posting this but I feel I have to, posting this to somewhere where I won’t feel judged or different is a great feeling. I am going through some things at the moment where I have been with my husband for now 12 years and married for 6 and have 2 amazing kids which is what keeps me going, but my husband and I aren’t in a great place at the moment and my anxiety is taking over I have only just been diagnosed with Anxiety Depression and Post Natal Depression which is hard but I am getting through it Day by day, last night my husband and I didn’t even speak and I don’t want to keep pushing and pushing as I think that will push him away but we have said if things don’t change or we keep fighting that the best thing to do for the kids is to not be together anymore, this is where my anxiety kicks in and I start thinking and thinking and thinking and it is so hard to stop and I don’t know what to do, I am scared that I think this is the end but I honestly don’t want it to be, he said to me this morning to let him deal with it and get over it in his own way I feel like I need to respect that and give him the space until he is ready but my anxiety just wants to take over and keep talking, what do I do?

thanks guys this means alot

1 Reply 1

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

dannoh89,

Hi and welcome to beyond blue.

Mere male here. Sorry. I only know one person in real life that had Post Natal Depression, and she had therapy for about 6 months (thinking out loud here). But then each person's circumstances are unique, so could be longer or shorter for others.

Am I correct in assuming that your husband is not adjusting to the "changes" (figuratively speaking) in you? You are not the same person he met because of anxiety and depression?

(I have anxiety and depression also, and have been seeing a psychologist for a year now (every 2 weeks). My kids know also; they are teens. But mine was a slow burn into the anxiety and depression.) The worst of it is that anxiety make us worry too much and think the worst. And depression make us think the worst of ourselves. A double whammy. Both fighting against each other, and doubly hard for you. But you are important and worthwhile. One thing my psychologist has taught me is that I focus on the negative too much, or minimise the positive. And slowly, bit by bit, look at the positives. We can chat about that later?

You just said that you had been diagnosed, but the following link might contain some useful information for your husband, if not you...

https://healthyfamilies.beyondblue.org.au/pregnancy-and-new-parents/maternal-mental-health-and-wellbeing/depression

You mentioned not speaking with your husband also... I also clam up when in that 'red' zone. So you are not alone there.

For the anxiety I have a number of distraction and coping tools? If you are interested I can tell you about some of these. Alternatively, you can look in the threads on grounding and mindfulness for ideas which are very good.

FWIW, I don't think this is the end.... it is your mind playing tricks on you, thinking the worst of the situation.

I hope you might come back and chat some more. But know that you are not alone in this space, and the forums are full of supportive people.

Tim