FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How long for new medication to be effective?

Maggie S
Community Member

I would like to hear any experience you may have with side effects when commencing medication, and how long it takes to feel better. I have been prescribed a new medication (switching from one type to another) and have been on this for 6 days for depression and anxiety. It feels like I have taken a step back in my recovery. It’s hard to distinguish between existing symptoms or side effects from new medication. Do you just push through knowing the benefits will come in time? (I am of course, being advised by my GP and Psychiatrist, but was interested in your feedback too). 

2 Replies 2

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Maggie Sing,

I'm so sorry that you feel like your recovery has taken a step back. Recovery can be a long journey with many steps backwards and forwards. I hope you are still optimistic about what the future might look like as I'm sure as you continue along your journey, you will eventually reach your goal. 

Medication affects everyone differently. I definitely think new treatments take time to see effects and if you can remain patient, hopefully the benefits will come soon. However, the best people to speak to would be your GP and psychiatrist. They understand how the medication works and how you have responded to medications in the past. Let them know how you're feeling and if you feel like this new medication is not working for you. 

Wishing the best,

Beeee

Flop
Community Member

Hi Maggie,

There's a chance you do feel subtle improvements from your medication, or maybe a difference or two. As Beeee said it's normal to feel as though you've taken a step back, it's something we all feel from time to time, but you always bounce back. I believe it's part of the healing process and it's nothing to stress.

Medication usually has to be in your system for 2+ weeks to regulate itself, but your GP would know better than me so if you're feeling very concerned about the lack of results, give them a call.

Have a nice day 🙂