FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Grinding teeth

Simoney
Community Member
I’ve started really grinding my teeth in the last few months and straining my jaw. 
I started on medication late last year but I’m not sure if it’s helping with my anxiety. 
Im not sure what to do about teeth grinding but it’s getting painful and I’m worried about damaging my teeth
3 Replies 3

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Simoney, 

You can see your dentist. They can make a mouth guard that's specially fitted for your mouth and specifically for teeth grinding. Yes, you're right, it can damage teeth and can get painful. 

Grinding your teeth could be alleviated by seeking some Counselling support, mindfulness and self-care. 

During the most stressful times in my life since I was very little, I grinded my teeth. It happened alot at night whilst I was sleeping. I would wake with an aching jaw and sore teeth.
The first time I remember doing this was surrounding the passing of my baby brother. 
Spot times during my life then intensively during multiple Court cases. 

I don't do it any more. Better said perhaps is my body doesn't do it any more while I'm sleeping. 

Best wishes
EM

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Simoney,

Im sorry this is happening.

As ecomama has already suggested it would be a good idea to see your dentist so they can keep a check on your teeth if you want to.

I also use to grind my teeth and bite down on my teeth due to the anxiety I was experiencing.

After receiving professional help for my anxiety with medication and therapy I no longer grind or bite down on my teeth because the anxiety I was experiencing has now diminished. 

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Simoney and Welcome to the forums

Petal22 and ecomama are spot on with their supportive posts below 

I understand your anguish when you mentioned grinding your teeth...it can be awful to experience

Counselling (and medication if required) even from your GP can be a huge help. For some peace of mind seeing your dentist will be beneficial yet teeth grinding can be a symptom of ongoing stress or anxiety.

GP's have greater knowledge where stress/anxiety is concerned nowadays. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by making a double appointment and having a good talk

There are many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you!

any questions are always welcome

Paul

Volunteer