FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Do not know If i have been exposed to HIV

ash1976
Community Member
Hi everyone hope someone could help. So, I am 26 Year old Male and recently I have engaged in outercourse, some of the activites were protected (with a condom), others were not. I do not know the HIV status of the Woman. I did not happen to notice if there is any would on her hand and i am afraid what if there might be one, but self doubt is kicking in and I am imagining if she did , but half certain that she did not . I am just freaking OUT , please help and advise if I have a chance of getting HIV . or was there any risk behaviour that has happened for HIV to transmit.
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi ash1976,

Thank you for your post today, and a big welcome to the forum.

It sounds as though you're really struggling with your fear of contracting the HIV virus, and feel as though you don't have enough information about what consitutes as safe sexual activity (or not), and you feel as though you're also lacking in up to date information on how one might contract the HIV virus generally speaking.

We have a question for you ash1976 - have you got a GP? If you do, we suggest you make an appointment to discuss sexual health and HIV risks with your GP, and allieviate any concerns you may have whilst also gaining an appropriate, accurate and non-judgemental education on the subject. If you don't, please do contact a local general practice and book in appointment with one of their doctors for a talk and general health appointment.

This is important ash1976 - as appropriate and throrough understanding the mechanics of sex and sexual health is an ongoing and life long concern for most sexually active adults and it's important to keep ourselves up to date where possible.

Headspace have some great resources on their website - have a look at their understanding sex and sexual health page here for more information as well.

If you feel as though you need to talk to someone about your anxiety ash1976, please don't hesitate to call us and speak with one of our trained counsellors about how your anxiety is affecting your life and to receive some brief counselling support around this. Our lines are open 24/7 and you can call on 1300 22 4636.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello ash, I'm sorry this is something you fear, as would anyone, but the only way to know is to get a blood test from your doctor, the results may take a few weeks, but it can be controlled by medication.

You may be able to know earlier by asking the person, I know this will be difficult, but coming from 'the horses mouth' may ease this worry, I hope so.

Geoff.

Life Member.