FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

GAD

Jarred28
Community Member

Have been diagnosed with GAD since May of this year and it’s been horrible. Having a lot of trouble just getting to sleep and when I do I wake up about 2 hours later panicking and have the same trouble falling back asleep. This has been leading to me being fatigued all the time and it’s been extremely difficult to go on with everyday activities.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Clear82
Community Member

I get anxiety sleeping from time to time as well. I found it helped to maybe like read or listen to a pod cast to calm me before sleeping. Then if I woke up and couldn’t get to sleep within 20 mins I’d get up and go get a drink. I found the longer I stayed in bed the more agitated I got.

And you do go back to a good sleep pattern. I also told myself I’d say I only had 4 hrs sleep that I know I can survive on that for the day. As I did yesterday

Here_I_am
Community Member

Hi Jarred28,

GAD and it's effects are indeed a Pandora's Box of conversation on these boards, and one that people frequenting the forums have a massive amount of lived experience and wisdom to share.

You mention you received a diagnosis in May of this year. Did that diagnosis lead to anything else to help you, such as medication to help regulate your serotonin, and/or a referral to a psychologist under a mental health plan? Sometimes the diagnosis is only a fraction of the picture; kind of like getting an x-ray and being told you have a broken arm. Knowing you have a broken arm doesn't really help the situation. Getting the treatment (some pain meds and a nice plaster cast) however is what helps a broken arm heal. It is the same with our mental health. Becoming aware that something has changed and is now different is like the x-ray. What is the way forward for management?

One thing I found when I initially met my anxiety and it played havoc with my sleep was that if I napped or slept during the day, it almost certainly impacted my night sleep. As far as possible, live a normal day. It may be that you have poor sleep for a week, but you'll get that one good night in and it will feel good.

I am a big believer in naturally managing our health - exercise (vigorous) and good eating go a long way to helping us regulate our mood and overall wellbeing. I'm not at all suggesting it rids us of our anxiety, but in my experience it goes a long way in helping manage it. I also benefit from medication and regular talks with a psychologist. I met my anxiety around May of this year also.

Hope to hear back from you Jarred28. If you feel comfortable in sharing a bit more, it would be helpful to know if you're doing any of the post-diagnosis 'treatments' such as meds to help balance chemistry, mental health plan to help make sense of what's going on, and healthy living choices that help us look after our body and mind as opposed to unwittingly making our situation worse.

I’ve been trying on multiple medications and none seem to be working all that well. I'm on one at the moment which has helped me a bit with the anxiety but depression symptoms haven’t really changed. I think having anxiety and depression at the same time is horrible.

Ive been seeing a psychologist for a bit which is okay I guess.

Have been referred to a psychiatrist which I am seeing in April so ill have to see if that helps.

Nyny94
Community Member
I read your post and I can totally emphasize with your situation, I am still awaiting diagnosis as to whether I have bipolar and also anxiety. I can however, relate to what you described. I find to take it day by day some will be better than others and if your find it hard to sleep try occupying your mind like reading something that will calm your down. I still have trouble sleeping and find myself napping if I have had a particularly bad night and have time, I really hope your able to find some relief in finding something to make you sleep better. For me personally, I don't like herbal or medicine so I tend to stick to reading or writing in a journal , some people I know try meditation as well, it all depends on what might suit you . But just know that you aren't alone and it does get easier on you and when you get support and address it with a Dr or even a psychologist/psychiatrist it might be easier to find what works with you. It might take a while though so don't get too disheartened if you have to try a few different methods, it might take a little time .