FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First time posting anxiety about work

Fizz_wizz
Community Member

Hi everyone

this is my first time posting so I hope I'm doing it right. I have always suffered with anxiety and depression and got help and have been great for 10 years. I have worked in retail In the same place for 7 years and I was happy but recently got the opportunity to move into a different roll in a different store but same company I have totally freaked out with panic attacks vomiting and not eating and just wanting to hide, my anxiety is consuming me I have a choice to stick it out or go back to what I was doing before with the chance I get less hours I'm really confused and don't no which way to go if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

19 Replies 19

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Fizz Wizz

Good on you posting a thread about anxiety as there are many people that can relate to what you are going through

I used to be a manager for the huge supermarket chain that isnt Coles and also had bad anxiety too. The biggest mistake I made was not seeing my GP/counselor for help....and my anxiety became worse...ugh!

Can I ask if you are seeing your GP?....They do have a better grasp where anxiety is concerned now compared to when I was trying to get some help

The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you to post Fizz

By the way.....You have a great attitude....as in proactive...Good1 🙂

When its convenient.....can you please post back

I really feel your pain Fizz.........you are not alone here at all

Paul

Astro_Boy
Community Member

I too have just started a new job and anxiety has been escalating as has my insomnia. I had an unfortunate instance yesterday at work where I thought my team had gone home and I was talking to a colleague about the frustrations of the day and what I was having with my team, and low and behold their were members of my team still there and most possibly overheard the conversation. This has caused me a pretty bad anxiety attack since it occurred including all the physical aspects. Now I need pull myself together and go into work as if nothing happened and behind closed doors seek the workplace support I need so this doesn’t happen again and be ready to address the issue with staff if they raise it. Sometimes leadership is tough and this was all because I made a poor choice of where and when to seek support.

Hi blondguy

THanks for your reply. Yeah I'm seeing my GP to get a health care plan in place but the problem is I need to make a decision on my job in the next day and I don't no which way to turn stay in what's causing my anxiety or go back to retail.

Hi FizzWizz

Well done on posting here – that first post must have been pretty confronting to write! I hope the feedback you get is helpful for you.

You talk about experiencing panic attacks in relation to the job opportunity you have been offered. I wonder what it is that may have triggered this response for you? Is it the prospect of changing roles? Changing location/store? Working with new people? Taking a different route to work?

When you think about taking up the job opportunity, what are the thoughts that immediately come into your mind? And then what feelings do you get after that? I guess I’m wondering whether there’s a specific aspect to your anxiety about the new job – if we can get to that exact source of anxiety, we might be able to work out a way to challenge that thought?

SammyD

Hi Astro Boy

That sounds like a really stressful situation! I feel for you as I was once in a similar situation, where I sent an instant message about my boss, which was intended to go to a colleague - but I accidentally sent it to my boss. Not very professional and very embarrassing!

Back to your situation though. You’re right, leadership can be tough, and isolating. For example, sometimes it’s hard for your team to understand the issues you’re facing because you’re doing the job of protecting them from management / bureaucratic issues that they aren’t aware of, but that are sources of stress for you.

Can you remember exactly what you said? Maybe it wasn’t as bad as you think it was? It’s possible that those members of your team didn’t hear what you said and there’s nothing to worry too much about?

Or if they did hear you, is there a chance you could try and use this experience in a constructive way – to frontfoot the issue for example by apologising to the team, explaining the source of your frustration, and collectively trying to work on ways to improve the situation that was causing your frustration?

So how did today go for you?
Sammy

Hi sammyD100

Thanks for your post my anxiety is triggered by the change plus the department I'm in is not exactly organized and is not doing the best plus the other staff member I'm working with we don't exactly get along I do like what I'm doing but the anxiety is causing me to hate it.

Hi Fizz wizz

Great to hear back from you!

It sounds like the prospect of any change is triggering these thoughts for you?

And it also sounds like things aren't great in your current role? If I have understood correctly, in your current role there are some not-so-great things happening - disorganised department, underperformance issues, and issues with another staff member? But you do like what you're doing, which is great!

I wonder if it might be helpful to write down all the good and not-so-good things about your current role, and do the same for the role you've been offered? Would that help you to make a decision about what the right choice might be for you? Then once you've made that decision - to stay or to leave - you might be able to look at tackling the anxiety related to that decision?

I help out on the forums on Thursday mornings only, so unfortunately may not be able to respond to you for another week after this post. Good luck making a decision that feels right for you!

SammyD

Hey sammyD100

I've decided to go back to what I was doing before as the environment is just not right for me I'm going to struggle money wise but it's better then burning myself out I'm also going to the doctors to get help and hopefully work on my anxiety. Thanks

Hi SammyD

thanks for sharing your experience. I was pretty racked with anxiety this morning but made myself go into work. It was a relevantly normal day. All trying to get the work done. I just checked in with everyone about pieces of work. I met with mentor and discussed an approach which I have put in place. I also went to my GP to get some help sleeping. I still have the low buzz of anxiety so will need to ride it out a little longer.