FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling overwhelmingly anxious about something that should be simple.

tash_b
Community Member

I have to go to the HCF Dentist this afternoon, and I have to go by myself and talk to the receptionist. My brother will be getting there later than me but is meant to have the first appointment, so I have to swap the two appointments around. I've never had to go by myself and I know it sounds so petty but I'm really scared. Can anyone tell me what exactly you're meant to say to the receptionist when you get there, and do I need to go see the receptionist again after my appointment before I leave? I know how ridiculous this sounds and I hate that I can't just push my fears aside, but no one in my family understands how big a deal this is for me because they're all really confident and I'm just not. I also have a habit of making a complete fool of myself on a regular basis, and really want to avoid that which is why I'm feeling so nervous. Can anyone help?

2 Replies 2

Vegetarian Marshmallow
Community Member

You could call ahead if you're worried.  It might be easier for you to talk over the phone than in person.

I imagine something like the following would do a passable job?

"Hi, I'm Temperance Fogworthy.  My brother is Lord Nodloddington Fogworthy.  We have consecutive appointments scheduled and my brother can't be here for his earlier slot, so I was wondering if I could switch them around."
 "Thanks."
"You too.  Bye."

But it doesn't matter too much.  Most of a receptionist's job is to be nice to people.  So the receptionist will probably have a big smile and speak kindly, no matter how sillily you act.

As time goes by and you take more notice of how other people tick, you'll become more confident in yourself when you realise that we're all just people.  We're all just as stupid as you are.  Everyone makes fools of themselves, every day.  Maybe other people are stupid in different ways to you, but they're still complete nonces.  And that's the tooth!  Ha.  Ha hah.  Hah ahhHAh haHhAha !!!

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear tash,

How did you go ?  It's not just the dentist that can make for an anxious moment - there's always the grumpy neighbour, the boyfriend that doesn't return texts and the granny that says "I've got a secret for you" and then puts you in a headlock before confiding "you're my favourite".

If you feel the anxiety creeping on a few days before the event you can always postpone.   It just me 3 attempts to get a new script from my GP.   I had too many other pressures for a while and doing this one simple thing, i.e. turning up, just didn't seem possible for a while.  Probably the ability to communicate is the best thing.   Even if it's to cancel something until you feel better about it.

The site has daily moderation so maybe you got a response in time.   Next time try planning a strategy a bit earlier if you can develope some insight.

Adios, David.